General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine clatter and more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:39 AM
lateralus
Unregistered
Default engine clatter and more.

hey guys...i'm new here...a few questions. First off....i got a 97 Accord EXR 2dr.coupe with the 2.2L VTec. I just got it last week since Acura Legends are hard to find around here...(i had an 89 before this) and a 2005 Grand Prix GT that was stolen and written off so now i'm back to honda.

Anyways...so it's been a while that i've had a car with a 4 cyl. but i've noticed, what i can best describe as a "clatter" in this engine on acceleration. I know 4 cyl. engines are generally louder and not too smooth, but do you think this is normal or can anyone else with a 4cyl. comment on this? Also, can anyone else with 94-97 accords tell me if there are any common problems with this car or anything i should look out for? The car has had the timing belt and water pump replaced in 2005 as well as new brakes and new michellin x1 tires this year..so i figure i'm good to go for now.

Oh yea, i should also ask. I guess the best and cheapest way to get the most out of this engine is to get a cold air intake..or no? Or what else can you guys suggest? I'm not really interested in spending a crap load of money...such as a $3000 turbo or what not.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: engine clatter and more.

I wopuld have to listen to the noise to determine if normal or not......But you might want to chk the valve lash......

as to gain a few extra horse power.. cold air intake and muffler is a cheap way that might fit your needs

Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM

how many miles does it have on it?

Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 PM

like desert said an ebay SRI intake for about $40.00 and a set of OBX headers (around $200.00 I think) is probably the cheapest/easiest way

Old 12-12-2006, 06:36 AM
lateralus
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

how many miles does it have on it?

It's got 137km on it. I was also thinking about a catback exhaust and muffler but i really don't want my exhaust to sound like a swarm of bees..which seems to be the thing these days

Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

does the valve clatter dissapear when engine is warm?

does engine actually get to operating temp?

Old 12-13-2006, 06:53 AM
lateralus
Unregistered

no, it doesn't go away when it's warm. and the temp. gauge is always slightly under half. It could just be normal i think...i'm really not used to 4 cylinders. it's just kinda loud on acceleration...almost has that diesel engine sound.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: lateralus

no, it doesn't go away when it's warm. and the temp. gauge is always slightly under half. It could just be normal i think...i'm really not used to 4 cylinders. it's just kinda loud on acceleration...almost has that diesel engine sound.
Temperature gauge being just under half sounds just right to me. That part is normal.

Checking valve lash is just too easy, I would certainly do that first. Even though I think valve noise wouldn't change on or off the throttle.

Since it's louder when you're on the gas, have you checked whether it's something like a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket? I'm just asking out of ignorance from not hearing the noise firsthand. Sometimes a leak way up there has more of a knocking sound as opposed to the rumble you get when the leak is back under the car.

Then again, there's always spark knocking... How's your spark timing? I don't know whether the ExR has a knock sensor, but if not, that's another possibility.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
lateralus
Unregistered

I thought maybe my thermostat might be stuck open since it usually reads between 1/4 and just under half all the time, but it blows really good heat and it's cold here now so i think that's probably normal.

I was thinking that exhaust manifold could be causing that noise...kinda makes sense now that i think about it. I'm gonna get it checked out when i get my oil changed at the dealer this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Mine does the exact same thing. I thought it was the exhaust manifold, but my exhast is good. I think they are just noisy.

Does it quiet down at highway speeds? Cuz mine is silent on the highway.

Quick Reply: engine clatter and more.