Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Engine Died While Driving, Won't Start (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/engine-died-while-driving-wont-start-48507/)

Silver6gen 07-10-2012 11:11 PM

you need to test for spark.

You can get a can of ether, have someone spray it into the throttle body while you crank if it fires you have spark but no fuel if nothing happens then you have no spark.

my1st.honda93 07-11-2012 12:40 AM

I believe its your timing belt? when you crank it over does the engine sound abnormal to you?
If its the timing belt you will get no spark no fire power,the engine will crank slower than usual and sound more like a winding than a crank

JimBlake 07-11-2012 08:23 AM

It's an interference engine so you need to be careful about camshaft position.

You've already been cranking the engine without the cam spinning. So if you're gonna bend the valves then they're already bent.

Turn the crankshaft until the TDC timing mark is 90-degrees away from the pointer. That will position all 4 pistons at mid-stroke, and now you can turn the camshaft any which way you want.

By turning the camshaft, you should go through the motions of checking your valve clearances. Any that are way too large are bent valves. If you see that, you can decide whether to have the head rebuild or look for a used engine.

iStagl 07-12-2012 11:19 PM

I already know it's not getting spark. I've tested it several times. Plus with the camshaft not spinning while cranking that's pretty much a dead giveaway that there's something wrong with the timing belt.

When I crank the motor, it does sound very abnormal. But it doesn't crank slow, it cranks fast. Sounds like there's no compression and it's a whirring sound. It's not too much of a whirring sound, you can tell there's compression from what I think I can hear. I'm wondering if the valves are stuck halfway open.

I really hope I didn't bend a valve. The car would not be getting a new motor and would probably be scrap. This would just mean I now have three cars sitting in front of my house that don't run. Worst of all, I don't have a driveway, so it's my three dead cars sitting on the side of the road, plus the three other cars that we have that do run (Ma's car, Dad's car, and bro's car)

PAhonda 07-12-2012 11:55 PM

It definitely sounds like you have bent valves.

my1st.honda93 07-13-2012 03:16 AM

wow i did not know that!about the pistions being at mid range?
Learn something new every day! and when on the Forum you learn something more!

JimBlake 07-13-2012 08:10 AM

That bit about all 4 pistons being at mid-stroke is for in-line 4-cyl engines. I had to look up whether the '95 LX coupe was offerred in V-6, and it wasn't. Otherwise, it's very important to say whether you have 4-cyl or V-6 because they may as well have been completely different cars.

iStagl 07-26-2012 04:57 PM

Well it was the timing belt and no valves appear to have struck... all that aside I took the ignitor out (ignition control module) and completely forgot the order of wires that it went in. Anyone know this off hand or could tell me where I can find out?

iStagl 07-26-2012 09:06 PM

I take that back... I have bent valves. Cylinder 2 had no compression, and cylinder four is about 50 pounds low :/

poorman212 07-27-2012 07:38 PM

Well, if and when the new/rebuilt head is on.....1-3-4-2 should be the order to the plugs, if that is what you were asking.