General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Died While Driving, Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Default Engine Died While Driving, Won't Start

I was driving to my buddies house that is just a few minutes away, and about halfway there my car just died. Music was still playing, but the engine had shut off. I put it in neutral (still coasting) and tried to start it but no dice. I pulled off the road and put it in park. Nothing leaking, no rods sticking through the block... everything in working order pretty much. The car just cranked, and cranked, and cranked, etc... I listened for the fuel pump, could still hear it thud, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's pumping fuel. I don't know if I am getting fuel yet, I don't know if I'm getting spark yet. I left the hazards on and left for an hour or two, waiting for a tow home. That was enough to kill my battery, so battery charger is going on tomorrow and the testing starts...

I talked to a guy at autozone who knew Honda's, and a buddy of mine, and they both mentioned something in the distributor, something with two little wires or two little screws, the autozone guy said to check the resistance on it, and my buddy said the little piece commonly fails. What's this little piece called? My buddy called it an "igniter".

All ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Please put your year, model, etc... in your signature so we don't have to ask and/or lookup your old posts.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Please put your year, model, etc... in your signature so we don't have to ask and/or lookup your old posts.
My bad, it's in there now.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

I would start by having the battery tested. The hazards shouldn't drain the battery that quickly.

The first thing I would do after the battery test, is to turn the key to the II position and listen for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds (when the check engine light turns on for about two seconds). You said you heard a thud, but the pump (to me) sounds like a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat. Just want to make sure you hear the fuel pump.

Next try to start the car. Disconnecting the battery erased all stored engine codes. If the car will not start, I would check for engine codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to checking engine codes.

Next step would be to test for spark. Do you have a timing light?

Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would start by having the battery tested. The hazards shouldn't drain the battery that quickly.

The first thing I would do after the battery test, is to turn the key to the II position and listen for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds (when the check engine light turns on for about two seconds). You said you heard a thud, but the pump (to me) sounds like a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat. Just want to make sure you hear the fuel pump.

Next try to start the car. Disconnecting the battery erased all stored engine codes. If the car will not start, I would check for engine codes. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to checking engine codes.

Next step would be to test for spark. Do you have a timing light?
My battery is a hunk of crap, I'm aware of this already. Leaving the lights on for 30 minutes will leave me stranded.

I have no check engine lights on, my light comes on then shuts back off after a few seconds.

I do not have a timing light. I believe my buddy does though, I'll borrow it, but I don't really know how to use it.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:41 PM

My buddy that called it the "igniter" pulled up this part. Ignition Control Module

Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to read some more about the ignition control module (ICM)/igniter, here are a couple of links:

Honda Acura ignition (no spark) troubleshooting tutorial - How to

Igniter failures

Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...hen-hot-48102/

check out my thread I m going through the same thing and have narrowed it down to a lack of fuel.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Did some trouble shooting. Pulled the wire coming from the coil to the distributor and there was no spark. Also tried pulling a spark plug wire and stuck a screwdriver in it and still no spark. There was 12.7 volts going TO the coil. Does this mean my coil is bad?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:21 PM

or the ignition control module (igniter) I'd think the igniter might be the problem here.

Quick Reply: Engine Died While Driving, Won't Start