General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies with AC on - Compressor turned off

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Default Engine dies with AC on - Compressor turned off

My girlfriend just bought a 1990 accord and the only real problem we are noticing is that if we turn the ac on past two clicks it bogs down and eventually dies after maybe 5 seconds, It seems like a vacuum leak of some sort but i cannot find a vacuum line that could be causing this to happen. Also we have the compressor unplugged so that isnt the issue and the ac blows ice cold on two clicks.

1990 honda accord lx f22a1 sedan auto

Last edited by Chad Merrill; 05-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Chad Merrill
My girlfriend just bought a 1990 accord and the only real problem we are noticing is that if we turn the ac on past two clicks it bogs down and eventually dies after maybe 5 seconds, It seems like a vacuum leak of some sort but i cannot find a vacuum line that could be causing this to happen. Also we have the compressor unplugged so that isnt the issue and the ac blows ice cold on two clicks.
It is not possible that the compressor is unplugged and the A/C is cold on 2 clicks.

Can you re-explain what you are describing?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 PM

The ac is NOT cold when the compressor is unplugged but when I DO plug the compressor in the ac blows cold, I was just trying to keep anyone from telling me I need a new compressor.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM

There is a device that raises the idle speed when the compressor comes on.

Another member with better experience will need to give a more detailed answer to help you.

I will PM someone who I think knows more about this issue for you and ask them to reply here.

Last edited by crispin; 05-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Engine idle air control valve opens more rapidly (ECU commands open/clos time) to absorb compressor AC load w/o excessive idle rpm loss. It is likely the iacv is blocked w/ grime or less likely, electrically faulty.

IACV can be removed and cleaned. Clean throttle plate and throttle bore around throttle plate. Clean inlet/outlet ports to IACV. Throttle body cleaner should be used. See DIY procedures for help on this job.

Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on? If yes, then see DIY procedure to extract codes and post the codes.

good luck

Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM

No the check engine light is not on. Also i can hold the RPM at like 3000 and the car still dies, I will clean the IACV and see if it helps

Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 PM

cleaning the IACV didnt help anything car still dies after turning the ac from low to med

Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 PM

I would take the belt off the compressor and see what happens when you turn it on.

If the car has the same problems then you have a IACV problem

If it does not have the same problem then you have a problem with the compressor, likely bad bearings in the compressor.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree w/ Crispin. You did not explain that load would kill engine at speed earlier. It may be possible the AC system is overcharged. Has any work been done recently?

good luck

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM

I am currently out of town but I will try taking the belt off the compressor when I get home. Will the compressor put a load on the engine even if the AC switch is turned off?

Quick Reply: Engine dies with AC on - Compressor turned off