General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine miss

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Jasonsig
Unregistered
Default Engine miss

I have a 92 Accord LX 4 cyl. I have a bad engine miss and errant starting problem. Sometimes it starts other times it will not and 5 minutes later it will. Bad miss at idel and under acceleration. I have changed the distributor, plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as the main relay under the dash. None of these changes made any impact or change on the issue. The computer is not flashing any codes and there are no check engine lights. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

make sure that all injectors work properly,,,,,,,,if they do,, do a compression chk..

Old 10-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Jasonsig
Unregistered

Thanks guys. I can do the compression test. Plugs all looked good, no indications of a bad cylinder etc. How would I test to see if the injectors are all working properly?

Thank you, Jason

Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Jasonsig
Unregistered

Thank you for taking the time to detail that. I will do what you have suggested and hopefully determine the problem. I will be working on it this weekend. Thanks again for the time and detail that you have provided.

Jason

Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM

A compression test is a crude form of testing. You should do a leakdown test. That will tell you more about your engines internals.

As for the miss.. have you made sure all your plugs are firing? Are the spark plugs gapped properly? Check and clean the grounds.

You can always pull the injectors and get them flow tested and cleaned. I am not sure what the cost is down there, but I imagine it is next to nothing.

For my supra they were $10.00 per injector to flow test and clean.

You could always try running some fuel injector cleaner through first.

Have you replaced the fuel filter recently?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
A compression test will give all the answers we need to sort out the engine miss and many of the big chain auto parts will loan the gauge for free.
A leak down test will give you more solid answers such as if you have leaking valves or rings. This is why I prefer the leakdown test.

One can get a leakdown tester for a decent price. When it is all said and done they can just return it if they wanted and the store will usually take it back.

An adequate compression tester can cost as little as $20.00

That would not be cool to do a ring job based on a compression test only to find out your valves are leaking when the engine is all put back together.

A compression test you need to factor in how long the engine has been sitting cold. If it has been a while, these can also throw off the compression numbers.

The only extra step to doing an leakdown test is having an aircompressor hooked up to the leakdown tester and removing an airbox to listen for intake leaks, or run to the muffler to listen for exhaust leaks.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by GOT BOOST
A compression test is a crude form of testing.
you are kidding me right ????? tell me,,,,,,,,,,, if you have very low compression on 1 cylinder what does that tell you ?????? ( burnt valve, valve too tight, worn rings ),,,,add some oil,, if compr comes up a lot , you got bad rings , if not ,, most likely burnt valve (s)

a leak down test will tell you how much amount of leakage you got on that cylinder ,,,possible causes burnt valve, valves too tight, worn rings, head gasket issues ,,

Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Now you got the OP needing to get an air compressor. With a compression test you need to be able to interpret the readings something a leak down test does for you, but a leak down tester takes a little more mechanical skill to do the test. I don't know the OP's skill level but I know we can do a lot with the results from a compression test if it is listed by cylinder and redone if low with some oil in the cylinders.

We are not at this point of trying to determine the overall condition(staying on subject of the thread) of the engine just what is giving it a miss by looking at the relative differences in the compression where temperature and other factors don’t matter. By symptoms I would like to rule out a head gasket which will usually give you very low compression on adjoining cylinders and/or other symptoms such as hard starting. Rings worn enough to give an engine miss will usually have blow by so bad the car leaves trails of smoke and the air cleaner is very oily.

If the OP was looking to determine if he/she should rebuild just the top end or the whole motor a leak down tester would be helpful.

I try to give advice that takes the least amount of special tools and keep it simple.

I am sure the OP may know someone who has an air compressor. If not then it the compression test may be a better option. I stated that a compression test is a crude method as it gives you limited info. I did not state that you can not do a compression test.

I am stating that a leakdown test is a preferred method for myself. As I mentioned, I prefer to be very thorough in my work. Leakdown testers come up information on how to interpret your findings. There is also Google that one can type things into to get answers on how to interpret more data or what else they can do with a leakdown tester.

To site your example a leakdown tester will let you know about a leaking headgasket by pressurizing the cooling system. Not that hard to remove the rad cap to look for bubbles.

Speaking of headgaskets and removing rad caps, you can look to see if there is oil in the coolant, or see if there is coolant in the oil. This is another good way to see if you have a BHG.

Interpreting a leakdown test is easy.

Sometimes simpleton answers are good, but for those who are looking for more indepth knowledge it does not cut it.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
you are kidding me right ????? tell me,,,,,,,,,,, if you have very low compression on 1 cylinder what does that tell you ?????? ( burnt valve, valve too tight, worn rings ),,,,add some oil,, if compr comes up a lot , you got bad rings , if not ,, most likely burnt valve (s)

a leak down test will tell you how much amount of leakage you got on that cylinder ,,,possible causes burnt valve, valves too tight, worn rings, head gasket issues ,,
If you have high leakage and it is not coming from the valves you can pinpoint to the compression rings. I am assuming that most people would have checked the oil levels before they did a compression test. If it was low, then they would do a top up.

As I mentioned a compression testor is crude method, it tells you some info, but for those who want to know more then a leakdown test is a preferd method.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM

The dealership I worked at had Honda, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Volvo and Mitsubishi and only time I ever I saw a leak down tester used was Mercedes but the mechanics also wore white lab coats on occasion.

Maybe interpreting compression test are old school. You have to go with what works for you.
That is good.

I know a few people who are mechanics at Honda, Nissan and Toyota. They all do leakdown tests. They prefer to do them over a compression test.

Yes, the compression test they will still do, to determine the cylinder compression as it gives them some numbers to match to spec. The leakdown lets them know how much air is leaking out and where it is coming from.

Quick Reply: Engine miss