General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Engine Mounts

I just went to a friendly mechanic person that my fathers know. Not sure if I can trust him yet since this is my first time with him. Anways, my point is that I need to replace all engine mounts from my 2001 Honda Accord lx 4 cylinder.
He gave me an estimate and he said that it will cost me $150 for labor and the parts ( he said he will get them from the honda dealer) around 400 dollars.
So in total it will cost me am estimate of $550.

I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off here and If should I go somewhere else. Is that price reasonable ? I need your help since I'm noob when it comes to cars.

Anyways, how much should all my engine mounts cost coming from the dealership ?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

That is a pretty reasonable price for parts and labor. You can check out dealership prices at sites like majestic honda or hondapartsnow.com. Usually the dealership charges the retail price listed.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Is that the 2.3L VTEC engine and what trans do you have..there are 4 different trans mounts for that car alone..Price frone Auto Zone $19.95 for one mount and approx $70.00 for one of the trans mounts..all AZone parts for mounts carry a lifetime warranty..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

He just called me to tell me the exact price. He said it will be $560 for parts alone + $150 for labor. So it will be around $710. Seems a little too much, but not sure if its reasonable price though. Keep in mind his getting the parts straight from the Honda dealer. I don't want aftermarkets mounts, therefore hes getting them from there. Also, he is replacing all mounts.

Yes its a 2.3L VTEC engine. I dont know what type of trans I have, sorry

Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It would be unusual for all the mounts to fail so you might consider getting a second opinion from an independent repair shop that specializes in Hondas.

Motor mounts aren't rocket science; I've had good luck with aftermarket mounts. If you have an auto trans one of them will be vacuum operated so it's a bit more complicated but still, you'd be hard pressed to spend more than $150 for all of the mounts at a mail order place like RockAuto.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah its an automatic, not all mounts are broken. 2 of them are broken and the rest are overdue (that's what he said). I believe the rear mount is broken and one of the sides. Also he mention that its better to replace all mounts at the same time because if you only replace the necessary mounts, that later in time, it can stress them out since not all mounts are in the same condition.

Since I bought this car a year ago and I believe the mounts were never changed, meaning they are stock. It has 130,000 miles already, isn't just better to replace all of them?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It has 130,000 miles already, isn't just better to replace all of them?
It's not as if there's much common labor like, say, replacing the water pump when replacing the timing belt. The mounts are all separately serviced. 130K is pretty low miles. Replacing functioning mounts probably doesn't make economic sense for you...perhaps I'm being cynical but maybe the mechanic has a boat payment due?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I see. However, I have had bad luck with aftermarkets mounts in the past, therefore I'm not getting those.

Ok, your recommending me to replace only the two broken ones.
It is smart to just do that which I might do

Anyways, just for curiosity, it is a reasonable price what the mehanic is proposing to me for all mounts ? That is my main concern. Or should i go somewhere else.

Last edited by loungewire; 03-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Anyone?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If you are smart you SHOULD replace all mounts with OEM Honda factory parts as soon as possible. The labor he quoted you is VERY reasonable. Believe me, your car will run more smoothly especially at idle in gear. The rear mount is vacum controlled and is a bitch to replace.

Quick Reply: Engine Mounts