General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine not idling correctly after linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Default engine not idling correctly after linkage problem

I guess the first question is:

Do Accords (2005) idle differently in cold weather?

If not, then I have another problem.

My engine idles a tiny bit rough sometimes and occassionally it just dies while idling.
It started doing this yesterday.

Here is what I did to my engine yesterday (prior to this it worked fine)

I had to tighten a shift linkage cable, to do this I pulled off some parts. I took out the battery and then I took out the air cleaner stuff to get to the linkage.

Do Accords have "vacuum advance" and that sort of stuff? Could it be a hose not connected or fitted properly?
(I am not a mechanic, I used the phrase "air cleaner stuff" because I have no idea what it is actually called)

Below are images of the affected area. I have a few questions to ask about them.

1)
By removing the parts I needed to get to the linkage, could I have messed up my idling?
2)
I used split collar pipe bolts (or nuts or whatever they are called) to hold the linkage in the proper place, it was not being held in place as it should have been. I had trouble getting into 2nd and Reverse gears.

I could either pay between about $180 to $250 for parts and then additional labor fees to have it fixed or I could put in some spacers and fix it myself. (I used split collars because I need something that would go over the cable, so a normal washer would not work)

Anyway, the reason I messed around with the air filter system is because the split collars got loose and slipped, so my 2nd and reverse gear problems returned. I tightened them up and I can shift again.

Does anyone know of a better way to fix the linkage problem?

Do I need to buy the linkage? Because if those split collars come loose again, I cannot shift again. Is there another permanent solution that won't cost me 4 or 5 hundred dollars in parts and labor.
(I can remove the air filter but I am not smart enough to deal with replacing the whole linkage system myself, so I will have to pay)

Here is the marked up image in case you don't know what a split collar is, I didn't until the hardware store told me. The mechanic guys I talked to did not know of a workaround like this.

Here is a picture that might show you what air filter stuff I removed.
(clicking enlarges the images so you can see better)

engine not idling correctly after linkage problem-img_20171208_133357439_hdr.jpg

engine not idling correctly after linkage problem-img_20171208_133511150_hdr.jpg

Thanks for reading this and thinking about the problem.

Attached Thumbnails engine not idling correctly after linkage problem-img_20171208_133522160.jpg   engine not idling correctly after linkage problem-img_20171208_133527990.jpg  

Last edited by Schleprock; 12-09-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Can't remember and my '07 Accord is slightly different (DBW), there are a few "hoses" connected to the tube going to the TB. Recheck that all of them are "seated/connected" as they should.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Schleprock
I guess the first question is:

Do Accords (2005) idle differently in cold weather?

If not, then I have another problem.

My engine idles a tiny bit rough sometimes and occassionally it just dies while idling.
It started doing this yesterday.

Here is what I did to my engine yesterday (prior to this it worked fine)

I had to tighten a shift linkage cable, to do this I pulled off some parts. I took out the battery and then I took out the air cleaner stuff to get to the linkage.

Do Accords have "vacuum advance" and that sort of stuff? Could it be a hose not connected or fitted properly?
(I am not a mechanic, I used the phrase "air cleaner stuff" because I have no idea what it is actually called)

Below are images of the affected area. I have a few questions to ask about them.

1)
By removing the parts I needed to get to the linkage, could I have messed up my idling?
2)
I used split collar pipe bolts (or nuts or whatever they are called) to hold the linkage in the proper place, it was not being held in place as it should have been. I had trouble getting into 2nd and Reverse gears.

I could either pay between about $180 to $250 for parts and then additional labor fees to have it fixed or I could put in some spacers and fix it myself. (I used split collars because I need something that would go over the cable, so a normal washer would not work)

Anyway, the reason I messed around with the air filter system is because the split collars got loose and slipped, so my 2nd and reverse gear problems returned. I tightened them up and I can shift again.

Does anyone know of a better way to fix the linkage problem?

Do I need to buy the linkage? Because if those split collars come loose again, I cannot shift again. Is there another permanent solution that won't cost me 4 or 5 hundred dollars in parts and labor.
(I can remove the air filter but I am not smart enough to deal with replacing the whole linkage system myself, so I will have to pay)

Here is the marked up image in case you don't know what a split collar is, I didn't until the hardware store told me. The mechanic guys I talked to did not know of a workaround like this.

Here is a picture that might show you what air filter stuff I removed.
(clicking enlarges the images so you can see better)

Attachment 24146

Attachment 24147

Thanks for reading this and thinking about the problem.
I think there might be a hose or 2 going to the tubing in the air box plumbing (close to the throttle body). There could also be a sensor in the plumbing as well.

As for your split washers coming loose, you could always use some blue loctite on the screws. This would keep them from vibrating loose, but still allow you to remove the screws if needed.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Default Fixed the vacuum problem, linkage problem has gotten worse

Here is a pic of the vacuum hoses when they were not fully seated, when I first looked at them, the bottom hose was not even attached. So that picture is of them half way fixed. since the pic was taken I put them completlely on and put the hose clamp on the bottom one. Anyway, it is good to go now, but it was definately those 2 hoses.
engine not idling correctly after linkage problem-vacuum-marked.jpg

I have another question about the linkage.

I have put about 100 miles on it since I tightened the split collars, they have vibrated loose a little bit. The vehicle does not always want to go into 2nd gear and I need to try 2 or 3 times to get it to go into reverse sometimes.

I would like to put another spacer and the blue loctite because that will save me quite a bit of money.

However, if you don't think it will hold, then I need to buy the linkage.

Does anyone know the part number and the best place to order it from. My buddy is a mechanic, so he can do the work. He will do it cheap or free because I fix all his computers for him.

I drive a lot for work. This thing cannot fail on me when I am 80 miles from home. If only reverse goes out I can still drive home, so I won't be stranded but I want this problem fixed.
Do you think another spacer will work permanently (with the loctite) or do you think I should get the linkage.

(I understand it is speculation, because anything can happen at any time, but are the chances pretty good that the extra spacer will safely and permanently fix it)

I don't want to spend the money on linkage or lose the use of my vehicle for a day, but I also need peace of mind.
(is this sort of repair the thing that a good mechanic can do in 1 day, or would it be longer)

Thanks for all of your help

Here is a diagram of the linkage. Is the part number at the bottom of the image correct? Because I am pretty sure the number he gave me was different. I don't remember that number, but I don't think the B3400 part of the number is correct.

Last edited by Schleprock; 12-10-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

54310-SDA-L02 is the part number. I think if you can remove the air intake, you can replace that cable.

I'd also recommend getting the shop manual for your car. You can buy a pdf to download from automanualsource.com for $22.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think I'd go on car-part.com, and see about trying to get a good used set. I don't know if Rock Auto has them or not. E-bay might be another place to try as well. I don't know if you have any local pick-n-pull's in your area, or if they would even still have the cables (most places just torch engine/transmissions out).

Old 12-13-2017, 04:07 PM

Is there any other place besides the spot in the photo where the linkage could be slipping.
If that one place is bad, could there be another place where the cable isn't right.

I added some more spacers to the originals and it worked but it was troublesome to get it into 1st gear and now it is occasionally not going into reverse. Less than 20 miles on the vehicle and the problem is returning.

What are the chances that it is slipping somewhere else?

Otherwise it is slipping in the first place again, I could still fix that.
But if it is likely that the whole linkage line is messed up, I don't want to mess around with it anymore.

Can it be fixed, in your opinion, or not.

Also, (because I am pretty sure you are going to tell me to stop F**ing around and fix it.
I put in for a quote to Repair Pal.
My neighbor will take that hourly quote, cut it in half and do it for that price. But his work is not guaranteed. There is a mobile mechanic shop in my area too, the do it cheaper because they say they have no overhead.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Default Standard hours to replace shifter/transmission linkage. 2005

How can I find out the standard hours it takes to replace the shifter linkage for a 5 speed manual transmission in a Honda Accord 2005.

This is not just the linkage inside the car. It goes from inside the car and up to the front part of the motor, where it attaches to the transmission.

There are some photos of the cables attaching to the transmission above. Here is the part number.

It is a Honda Part # 54310-SDA-L02 (thanks PAhonda)

Last edited by Schleprock; 12-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.