General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine oil is completely gone

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Engine oil is completely gone

I had the oil changed about a month a go and everything was going fine. But lately my car has been making a lot of clunky noises and my dad saw that the the engines oil was dry. There's no leak in the car and the check engine light recently turned on.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 AM

Top of the oil, start the car and pray. If there are no noises coming from the engine - you may got lucky then. Honda's 4 cylinders burn oil very, very often. So check it and top it of every time you are filling the gas tank, or maybe every 1000km

Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 AM
Almost A Senior Member

my first thought is where did you have it changed at? and what type/grade oil did they fill it with? I have a 96 4 cyl, and it does use a lil oil,,,mine has 162,000 miles, uses less than a quart in between oil changes and im sure some of that is from a leaky valve cover, good luck

Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A lesson learned! Check your own oil frequently.

I bought a used MDX a few years back and drove the car direct from a "oil change and prep". I pulled over a few blocks away from dealer to fill w/ gas and check oil. Oil level did not touch the dip stick! I had to walk to a auto parts store to puchase 3 qts. Two qts brought level up to the full. Probably a "fill" error by tech. You could have had same problem.

good luck

Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey, I had the put oil in again since my last post, is there something wrong with my car or is this normal? Also, the check engine light is gone after refilling the oil from last time.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

well there is 3 possibilities here. The place that changed the oil didn't fill it, it leaked out, or it burned off.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I haven't seen any oil leak. The oil was used up pretty quick after I got my oil changed. Then my dad added some oil when he saw it was empty. Then I just added oil today because it was low so I'm guessing its getting burned. Is there any way to tell? I recently(about 2 months ago) changed the spark plugs myself, could that have anything to do with it?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

what kind of time frame are we talking about here?

Even if its over a month that the engine burned 3-4 quarts of oil you would have some blue smoke coming out your exhaust well driving, and a strong burnt oil smell.

I would take the car for a short drive, let it get up to operating temp, park it, put some card board under it, and see if any oil drops onto it. Also look for any areas where its obvious oil is leaking from the engine.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 AM

I only had my oil changed once at a quickie lube. They told me that everything was fine and they checked the transmission oil. I told them that was unlikely because I have a manual transmission. Do the oil change yourself or go to a Honda dealership. Outside of that your odds go down that it has been done right.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I haven't seen any oil drops but I do see smoke from the exhaust. Also what looks like soot on the end of the exhaust pipe, what should I do now?

Quick Reply: Engine oil is completely gone