General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine vibration between 1k and 2k RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Default Engine vibration between 1k and 2k RPM

Hello,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6 EX Sedan Automatic that is giving off vibrations from the engine, specifically passenger side, when I have the throttle 1/6 of the way depressed between 1000 and 2000 RPMs. When the vibration begins, it occurs for 2-3 second intervals and the RPMs increase by 100 RPMs (ie. if at 1100 RPMs it revs up to 1200 RPMs, then back to 1100 RMPs). Increasing throttle removes the vibrations but I have to keep reving it back and forth, and I don't feel it happen over 40 MPH. If I let off the throttle completely, no vibrations. No vibrations at dead stop or at idle.

This seems to have started after getting my tires rotated. To my knowledge the tires weren't balanced, only rotated.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 PM

most likely a balance issue.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, have the tires rotated back to their original spot and see if the vibration goes away. If it does, have the tires balanced.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM

I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 AM

You have just described my car, I know its not the tires. My husband ran a tire store etc so he made sure everything was ok. From what I have been able to find online, its possible its the power train. My car is in at the dealership right now going through a diagnostic to see what the actual problem is. Will post an update later in the day and let you know the $damage$

Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 AM

@Zsuzsi - Wow! Yes please let me know what you find. I had the tires rotated and balanced recently and that seemed to lessen the vibration problem some but that's it. It got really bad yesterday, and I checked the pressure of the tire where the vibration is coming from and noticed it was at 22 PSI and the max on the tire is 44 PSI. I took the pressure up to 40 PSI and that helped some but it's still there.

I hope the fix is a cheap one for you

Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM

you shouldnt put over 35psi in your tires. causes additional wear and higher psi is bad for wet and icy traction

and powertrain? i doubt it. maybe a harmonic balancer deteriorating.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by jimmydean101
@Zsuzsi - Wow! Yes please let me know what you find. I had the tires rotated and balanced recently and that seemed to lessen the vibration problem some but that's it. It got really bad yesterday, and I checked the pressure of the tire where the vibration is coming from and noticed it was at 22 PSI and the max on the tire is 44 PSI. I took the pressure up to 40 PSI and that helped some but it's still there.

I hope the fix is a cheap one for you
ERGH!!! got the dreaded call from the dealer! I always feel I am getting taken for a ride when every they tell me how much things cost..... Ok here goes!
Its a malfunctioning ACN?? something related to noise cancelling something and it goes through the speakers? I dont feel like it comes through the speakers, it feels like the whole car vibrating, any how they want to scam me for $725 for it to be replaced and installed.

I NEED A HARD DRINK!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM

??????

I agree, that doesn't make sense. How could some noise cancelling device that runs through the speakers cause these vibrations between specific RPMs? I think it's mechanical. Guess I'll break down and take it in to the dealership for a look see. I'm going to ask if I can actually take the technician for a ride around the block to show them specifically.

Thanks for the reply. If you get what they suggest done, please let me know if it makes a difference.

I recommend a double scotch on the rocks

Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Smile Please read - please read

*****IMPORTANT UPDATE IMPORTANT UPDATE*****

I found this new info out yesterday but didn't want to post till I got all the facts correct.

Honda America Customer Care Service 1800-999-1009 have a program where they evaluate your mechanical needs and cost and try to help you out financially. They will look at you on a case by case, so please be aware you may not get anything.

I found out about this department via a local mechanic yesterday, trying to find cheaper quotes. Well, I dont know if this is everywhere in the US but here in Dallas TX, no one wants to touch a Hybrid due to the electrical components. So I was forced to deal exclusively with Honda. When I called, I was surprised how willing they where to hear EVERYTHING about the car and my concerns. I was very polite and even complimented them on service (even though I always feel I have to eat top ramen for the next 2 months after a major service). My car is a 2005, I am the 2nd owner, low miles 60K, I always take my car to them for major services, and its KEY you have your local HONDA dealership run the diagnostic, which usually costs $105ish -$129ish.

They then have a case worker evaluate the situation and approve, deny or give you a percentage discount. They also consider cases where you have already had the service done and paid for and send the reimbursement chk to you, I'm sure it would have to have been done recently for them to consider. AGAIN, THEY LOOK AT EVERYBODY IN A CASE BY CASE SITUATION. In my case, My service Rep, had also called them earlier in the day and had also asked for help (I didn't know he did this till later in the day, he also knew my home AC blew in the same week and Dallas is HOT & HUMID, so he went to bat for me and pulled out a home run)

Initial Quote was $725 + $39.75 for state inspection
I only PAID $239.52
Inc. tax, state inspection, parts, labor, the whole shabang!!!

I SAVED $525.23!!!

I know I said I always feel like I am getting taken for a ride with the costs from Honda but I am now re-evaluating that statement, when you really need them they pull through. I do love the Honda cars, and I have had Honda's in the past and currently have 2 in the garage. So in saying that, I officially am eating my words!!!

I hope this helps you all out in some way.

Best of luck,

Z

P.S The car is running like a dream again!!!

Last edited by Zsuzsi; 07-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine vibration between 1k and 2k RPM