General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine vibration-replaced mounts - no help

Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Default Engine vibration-replaced mounts - no help

Wife has a 1997 accord 2.7 V6 with 80K miles. It recently developed an engine vibration that can be felt at idle. Dealer replaced front (L&R) and rear motor mounts and it made no difference. Before the vibration I could set a small screw on the valve cover and it wouldn't move at all. Now I think I could put a brick on it and it would eventually rattle off. No codes and plugs look great. Idle itself is smooth but the engine itself shakes. Dealer says mounts are fine and now suggesting that I replace oil pan and possibly oil pick up as it hangs very low and may be hitting the pan causing the vibration. I do have a quarter size ding in the pan but the suggestion sounds farfetched. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on the oil pick up theory. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did the vibration start after work on the car? I'm not sure that V6 has balance shafts, but they can be mis-aligned on IL4 engines.

Is vibration only at idle and smooths out as soon as throttle is applied. A dirty throttle plate and idle air control valve can drop idle too low and result in vibration.

good luck

Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM

The motor mount issue was "discovered" during a regular service visit and my wife ok'd the work. It did not vibrate before she took it in. When I went to look at it I asked the tech to bump the idle up to about 1000rpm and it still vibrated. Put it back to normal and I could tell no difference between idle settings and vibration. Thanks for the input!.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Work on the oil pan/pickup will not repair your vibration problem.

I have read that improper installation of motor mounts can result in vibration. What can happen is that too much preload is applied to one mount. This results from improper support of engine during removal/installation of mount.

Since the problem began w/ new mount installation, I would look to that installer for support.

good luck

Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know about the V-6, but the F-series has a particular sequence that you tighten the mounts. I suppose that's the reason.