General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

erratic abs light gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:56 PM
idtattoo
Unregistered
Default erratic abs light gremlin

My wifes 97 honda accord ex four cylinder has been havin a bit of a gremlin. Occasionally the abs light will come on and I can hear a clicking from under the hood. I am guessing that it is the relay for the abs, it will normally just stop clickin after a few seconds and then the light goes out. Recently it goes on after around 10-20 miles of driving the light will come on and will cut the power(short) for a second and then come right back on and the light goes out. I am hopeing to get a new relay tommorrow from the dealer hopeing that it is faulty but would appreciate any help you may have, I have read through the forum and seen nothing with an erratic light. I have not found a local auto zone but it does not seem to have thrown a code yet. Any help would be great Thanx

Old 09-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: erratic abs light gremlin

If the ABS light comes on, it probably DOES have a code stored, even tho the light doesn't stay on. Parts stores that read ECU codes may or may not be able to read ABS codes.

Find the SCS connector (under the ashtray???) & jumper it with a paperclip. Turn the key ON & watch the ABS light flash:

Long flash & long pause (this isn't the code yet).

Short flashes for first digit of code.
Short pause.
Short flashes for second digit.

Long pause.

Short flashes for first digit of next code.
Short pause.
Short flashes for 2nd digit...
etc...

Old 04-08-2007, 05:16 PM

i have no idea what you mean with that code talk, but I have a similar problem with my 94. The only difference is every so often ill start the car and the ABS light will stay on. No power loss, no noticable difference in anything, it just stays on.... any ideas?

Old 04-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

If the ABS light comes on, it probably DOES have a code stored, even tho the light doesn't stay on. Parts stores that read ECU codes may or may not be able to read ABS codes.

Find the SCS connector (under the ashtray???) & jumper it with a paperclip. Turn the key ON & watch the ABS light flash:
the obdII plug is behind the ash tray,, the service connector is under the glove box. it is a blue plug with 2 wires going to it.. Jump those wire together as Jim suggested , turn the key on and count the flashes .

BREW,,,# 1 start your own thread........# 2 do the same thing .... sc is located at the same place

Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

the obdII plug is behind the ash tray,, the service connector is under the glove box. it is a blue plug with 2 wires going to it.. Jump those wire together as Jim suggested , turn the key on and count the flashes .

BREW,,,# 1 start your own thread........# 2 do the same thing .... sc is located at the same place

My bad. I just didnt want to clog the forums with the same threads.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 AM

Back from the dead, can someone help me please? My ABS light does its check thing when the car is turned on then it turns off, then after about 1 or 2 min of driving it. I tried pulling the code, I get the first long one, a pause, a short one, pause, short one, 5 sec pause then another short one.

Would this be interpreted as code 1-3?

I've never had a Honda with ABS that works[:@]

Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 PM

its a 95 accord v6 btw

Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Try doing that again, because that would be a 1-1 which doesn't exist. Here is how the sequence works on that ABS. Are you looking at the ABS light? The Check Engine Light can flash its own codes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5767/E99DA58056924123BFC150AE2D6D1B1A.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 PM

no it was the abs light, i got a long flash when i first turned it then a long pause, *flash* short pause *flash* short pause *flash* then nothing after that

maybe a code 3?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, since the ABS will give you the code three times, then you must have a 1-0 (ABS pump motor over-run). It comes on when the ABS relay is on for more than 40 seconds when the ABS is not doing anything.

Here is a list of causes:

• Faulty ABS control unit
• Air mixed in the ABS brake fluid.
• Pressure switch stuck OFF
• Open circuit between the pressure switch and ABS control unit
• Open circuit in the P-SW circuit between the pressure switch and body ground, or a poor ground
• Drop in pump discharge volume
• Leaking outlet valve
• Leaking relief valve
• ABS brake fluid leakage

Quick Reply: erratic abs light gremlin