General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Extended Drain Amsoil or Mobil 1

Old 05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Default Extended Drain Amsoil or Mobil 1

I have a 2006 Accord 4cyl and a 2005 Pilot. Both cars are driven 15K to 18K a year in Wisconsin and have about 23K on them. I switched to Penz Platinum 5-20 at 15K on both vehicles and am doing 6K changes including Honda filters.. I see that Amsoil now had an extended drain 0W-20. They list 15K-25K or one year drain intervals. Amsoil's new oil filters are also rated with this oil to be changed once a year. I would be interrested in hearing from any one who is doing longer drain intervals (9K and up) with a synthetic oil and get your thoughts.

My plan would be, if I choose to go this route, to have an oil analysis done at 6K or 7K miles and then every 3K or so to validate.

Again, I am realy interrested in responses from people who are doing extended drain intervals.

Thanks.....Jack K

Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Extended Drain Amsoil or Mobil 1

I have been using AMS oil since 1980 and would never go back to the non-synthetic oil products. Everything I own with an engine, gets AMS oil in it....lawn mowers included! Lots of folks are hesitant because of the price, but when you do the math on extended drain changes vs. every 3K with standard oils...plus the unmatched benefit of the lubricity that synthetic oil offers...it becomes an easy choice.
I just sold a 93 Accord that we bought brand new. It had 248K miles and ran like a top. You could pull the oil cap and see how clean it was inside...petro-oil could never keep up with results like that. Synthetic flow at super cold temps, doesn't cook off at high temps, and lasts so much longer.
Another benefit of AMS oil is that they have an entire line of high-end products....not just the oil and filters.
I could go on and on here, but the bottom line is that Synthetics are worthy of the price given the unmatched protection they provide.
As for the oil analysis...I've never gone to that extreme. Extended drain changes has never resulted in a problem so I "drive on" so to speak.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 PM

I have run Mobile-1 in my 99 Accord 4 cylinder since day one, and gone as many as 9000 miles on it. One mistake though is that oil filters are not as good as these oils. No harm done but I should have changed the filter in there somewhere.Most of the time I will go about 6000 miles between drains. As far as a 1 year oil change. Im not that cheap. An oil analysis would be a must for that kind of extended drain.If any damage were done you might never see it. Instead of getting 250.000 miles out of this car you might only get 150.000. By the way Amsoil does make one of the best oil filters on the market. Napa gold being next. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.comalso search oil filter forums and oil forums. They are out there, lots of good reading.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 AM
hondabob
Unregistered

Any update on extended oil change intervals with synthetic oil? I would like to do this as well, but I will be doing oil analysis to help judge how long I can safely extend the change interval.

I would like to see if I could safely go through 2 maintenance minder intervals (maybe approx 10k-11k miles) befroe changing the oil.

Has anyone done this?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: accordfan

I have been using AMS oil since 1980 and would never go back to the non-synthetic oil products. Everything I own with an engine, gets AMS oil in it....lawn mowers included! Lots of folks are hesitant because of the price, but when you do the math on extended drain changes vs. every 3K with standard oils...plus the unmatched benefit of the lubricity that synthetic oil offers...it becomes an easy choice.
I just sold a 93 Accord that we bought brand new. It had 248K miles and ran like a top. You could pull the oil cap and see how clean it was inside...petro-oil could never keep up with results like that. Synthetic flow at super cold temps, doesn't cook off at high temps, and lasts so much longer.
Another benefit of AMS oil is that they have an entire line of high-end products....not just the oil and filters.
I could go on and on here, but the bottom line is that Synthetics are worthy of the price given the unmatched protection they provide.
As for the oil analysis...I've never gone to that extreme. Extended drain changes has never resulted in a problem so I "drive on" so to speak.
just out of curiosity...what about a financial comparison with factory recommended oil change intervals...7500mi. That 3000 mi value is the severe operation value, and, IMO, a total racket by oil companies to sell more product.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 AM

If you are looking for a "cheaper" synthetic to use then its pretty much a tie between Pennzoil platinum, Mobil 1, and Castrol Syntec.. all 3 are consistently good oils over extended drains. the Pennzoil is the Cheapest of the 3

Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 AM

I've used Amsoil for a full year a few times without any problems. I used it primarily before they released the new filter that last a year. The older one lasted a half year or 12,500 miles. I did use the Amsoil with the nano-filter once for a year without problems. Since I have been using standard oil and filters with 3 month changes ...... just to get the old crap out of my engine. It's mainly a decision of what methodology you prefer. I accept both.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Using oil analysis you may find that the Plat Pennz is capable of 10K+ changes. I run M1 0W20 (SL) to 7500-8000 miles and UOA shows 10K is easilyattainable under my driving conditions. I change the filter along with the oil (Honda Filtech) and do not change it midway through the cycle.

With what I have gained from five years on Bobistheoilguy (member #409)Amsoil 0W20 and Ams filter would be my choice for one year oil change intervals not to exceed 15K miles. This would still be backed by UOA's for trending. The initial UOA will show trace amounts of the previous oil(s) in the mix. The second and forward UOA's will show how well the unadulterated Amsoil 0W20 will do for you.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM

i drive with the same oil till it starts to get dark or smell burnt. otherwise i just keep on truckin. (or... car...ing....)

i usually check it every 5 days or so, half because i want to check it, half because i have a severe case of tinker-itous.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:52 PM

the oil getting dark itself means that its doing what its supposed to...suspending all the particles so it doesnt damage your engine. and if you work on your own car its inevitable you're gonna have the tinker-itous bug, hehe its in all of us that love our cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Drain Amsoil or Mobil 1