General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

F22B2 to JDM F23 problems

Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default F22B2 to JDM F23 problems

My car is a 97 Accord SE, the original engine was the F22B2 I4 NON-VTEC engine. I had a shop do the swap to a F23 2.3 VTEC engine. The engine is running but when I try and use the jdm ECU my car won't start. They DID run the VTEC wires but they used the distributor from my f22 engine. Aren't the VTEC and non-VTEC distributors different? Would this cause my car not to start with the VTEC ecu? The ecu that came with the JDM engine is PCG-901 and my original one works in the car but VTEC won't engage.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 AM

Then have them change it to the v-tech!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 AM

why are you using a JDM ecu?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The engine is running but when I try and use the jdm ECU my car won't start.
The F23 ECU is OBD2b. I doesn't belong in an OBD2a car; way too many differences.
They DID run the VTEC wires but they used the distributor from my f22 engine. Aren't the VTEC and non-VTEC distributors different? Would this cause my car not to start with the VTEC ecu?
They are different and it may be causing the car to not start. The external-coil distributor from your F22B2 will work fine with a VTEC OBD2a ECU - P0H - just as it works fine with the original ECU...P0J I'm guessing. But, as you pointed out, the P0J won't engage the VTEC solenoid.

I your car is an automatic the following TSB has a good list of compatible ECUs:
"http://www.pennybaker.com/ody/sb/SB%2001-012.pdf"

Last edited by Roader; 08-26-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Silver6gen - I don't know. I'm new to Honda swaps so I honestly am very confused.
Roader - So if they put the distributor from the JDM engine in which ECU am I suppose to use?
Either way, I'm taking it back to them because they didn't finish their job. I just want a better understanding of what's going on. I called them and told them that the VTEC distributor and non-VTEC distributor are different, and they told me the VTEC distributor isn't compatible with my car. I know I've read something about a jumper harness to convert it though?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:17 AM

I don't think the F23 ECU will work in any case. I don't know about the specific ECU you got with the engine, but I'm pretty sure that all USDM F23 ECUs have immobilizer circuits which "talk" to the key and if the key doesn't have a matching transponder then the car won't start. Changing to the F23 distributor is likely to do nothing.

Typically with an engine swap the best way to deal with which ECU to use is keep the OBD the same as the car, not the engine. Since you changed from non-VTEC to VTEC, your old OBD2a ECU has no provision to operate the VTEC solenoid. The solution is to get an OBD2a ECU that will operate the solenoid. A P0H ECU from a 96-97 EX Accord is what you need. According to the TSB link I provided, looks like you'll need either a P0H-L51 or P0H-L52. OBD2a ECUs cheap; I bought one from a junkyard for $50 when I did my swap. It was plug and play.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roader
I don't think the F23 ECU will work in any case. I don't know about the specific ECU you got with the engine, but I'm pretty sure that all USDM F23 ECUs have immobilizer circuits which "talk" to the key and if the key doesn't have a matching transponder then the car won't start. Changing to the F23 distributor is likely to do nothing.

Typically with an engine swap the best way to deal with which ECU to use is keep the OBD the same as the car, not the engine. Since you changed from non-VTEC to VTEC, your old OBD2a ECU has no provision to operate the VTEC solenoid. The solution is to get an OBD2a ECU that will operate the solenoid. A P0H ECU from a 96-97 EX Accord is what you need. According to the TSB link I provided, looks like you'll need either a P0H-L51 or P0H-L52. OBD2a ECUs cheap; I bought one from a junkyard for $50 when I did my swap. It was plug and play.
Ok I get it but the ECU that came with the engine was one from japan so that's why it won't work right? So I need the P0H ECU from the 96-97 Accord EX VTEC. I already ordered it for $60 so I guess I'll see if it works when it gets here. Roader, have you done this exact swap before?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM

I have done the exact same swap but using a USDM engine, not a JDM. The swap thread is in the DIY section.

I have no idea what your Japanese ECU is, what OBD level, immobilizer or not, auto vs. manual, etc., etc., etc. It should make a nice paperweight.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Another thing I noticed immediately when I got into my car after the swap, is that my accelerator is really tight to press. I get a cramp in my foot from pressing so hard. What the heck did they do to my throttle cable? lol

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM

IDK if they swapped the old intake manifold to the F23 on yours. If so, there shouldn't be a problem. If they kept the F23 IM then the throttle cable bracket has to be relocated:

Name:  Throttle_cbl_brkt.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  36.2 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F22B2 to JDM F23 problems