General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F23A Swap - Automatic Transaxle issues- need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Default F23A Swap - Automatic Transaxle issues- need help

Hey all - I just finished swapping out a new engine into my car f23A1 to the same engine swap- This is my daily driver and I need this up and running. Here is my topic on Hondaswap.com for details.

http://hondaswap.com/accord/f23a1-sa...ml#post1117516

But here is the problem- the transmission that is on the new engine was the same on I had on the old engine and it worked fine before. After doing the swap. I let the engine Idle and I tested everything for leaks, and checked fluid levels. Everything was good.

I put it into reverse and it is really rough but goes into gear - and then put it into first - rough and slow to get into gear , but it goes. I take it on the road and here is where the problems start...

When I go to put into second- the car feels as if you are downshifting - I instantly slow down and no matter how hard I stomp on the gas- it wont go more than 2 MPH. Now, I can put it back into first and drive like that, but that is all. It will not go into 2nd gear or any other gear past that for that matter.

IM getting a CEL of 70 and my indicator light on my dash for what gear I am in is flashing on the D4 even though I am in park.

I talked to my mechanic and he is saying it is going into some kind of fail safe mode is what it sounds like- he asked me to go recheck all my connections. I did and they seemed okay.

I need some help bad, I hope this is an Ez fix. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: F23A Swap - Automatic Transaxle issues- need help

If you obtain the OBD2 code, you may be able to understand the problem. OBD1 Code 70 applies to perhaps 10 Obd2 codes. D4 light means there is a transmission code stored in the ATU.

Put your year/model/trim in your signature line.

good luck

Old 09-28-2008, 01:41 PM

scared to have to drive this to autozone in first gear - ill try though

Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

its throwing a code p1768 its about solenoid A but i tested it and it works- disconnected solenoids b/c and now i can get it to drive in 2/3 gear only but i would like this fixed still i want 1st and 4th.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM

P1768 is a fault in the linear solenoid; either disconnected connector, damaged wiring, faulty linear solenoid, ordisconnected or loosened PG terminal. I'm not sure what the PG terminal is located. The linear solenoid is internal, so you have to hope the fault arise from your trans replacement. Look for wires pinched together somewhere. PG might be a ground connection.

good luck

Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 PM

thank you- i may just take it in for a diagnosis and ill have to do the work myself. ill call them tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Default Cv's?

Looks like it is leaking from the CV's they dont look seated in all the way for some reason - they were in all the way when installed - damn..

could that be the reason its not shifting?

do those hold some kind of vacuum seal within the tranny?

its leaking on both sides too and they both look out some -

the T/C area is completely dry-

I can also tell its the CV'c because there is tranny fluid launched all on my bottom end like some fast rotations put it there.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Default RE: Cv's?

Not sure about all CV joints, but for some the service manual says to drain the transaxle before pulling the CV shaft end. So if the CV joint end is not seated, a leak seems likely.

good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 06:08 PM

im going to see if it will pop back in- those things are a pain.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM

If you're absolutely sure it was installed and "clicked" into place earlier, you may have the wrong CV shaft. Were they replaced w/ the trans perhaps? I can't imagine them pulling loose accidentally w/o substantial pull. They require a good pry bar to remove.

good luck

Quick Reply: F23A Swap - Automatic Transaxle issues- need help