General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F23A4 install in a non ULEV EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Car has been running great for about 6 weeks now. Sorry I did not let ya'll know sooner. It turned out that I had the wires going to the throttle position sensor and Map sensor inverted. This would not have been possible, except that I had broken the Speedo sensor so it was not hooked up. Once I replaced the sensor, the problem became apparent.

I think that's all for now. The blown F23A1 will be in the for sale section soon.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Very cool that the swap went well!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
jizall
Unregistered

hi did u change out the ecu cause i have an a1 engine in mine and i cracked the block and i got an a4 engine 4 free ...if i put the a1 intake manifold and exhaust on the a4 head would i have to change the ecu too

Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by jizall
hi did u change out the ecu cause i have an a1 engine in mine and i cracked the block and i got an a4 engine 4 free ...if i put the a1 intake manifold and exhaust on the a4 head would i have to change the ecu too
Does anyone have an answer to jizall's question??????????

I also found an a4 and want to bolt it into an a1 (my a1 has blown valve).

Do I have to get sensors, manifold and ecu from the a4? Or can I just use the sensors, manifold, and ecu from the original blown a1?

Really need an answer soon. guy selling the a4 is ready to sell to another buyer and its a really good deal...

I'm leaving to get on the road, if someone wants to, please call my cell phone, with the asnwer 412-401-1477, would super appreciate it!

from one accord brother to another, thanks for the help, o'mighty honda accord forum!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I'd look at parts numbers to see what's actually different. I had the impression (not certain) that it's mostly software but the front O2 sensor IS different. Seems like you can use the front O2 sensor (maybe a couple other sensors if you find they're different) from the A1 engine.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry, I was away for a while guys. The ONLY difference between the A1 and A4 is the exhaust manifold and the valve cover(only ascetically). If you put the A4 engine in an A1 equipped Accord, you are fine as long as you put the A1 Exhaust manifold on the A4 block, in which case you would not change the ECU. The intake manifold and throttle body match between the 2 engines, so you can even save yourself some work there if the A4 already has an intake manifold on it.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Default Install A1 in A4 car

Originally Posted by Accord12404
Sorry, I was away for a while guys. The ONLY difference between the A1 and A4 is the exhaust manifold and the valve cover(only ascetically). If you put the A4 engine in an A1 equipped Accord, you are fine as long as you put the A1 Exhaust manifold on the A4 block, in which case you would not change the ECU. The intake manifold and throttle body match between the 2 engines, so you can even save yourself some work there if the A4 already has an intake manifold on it.
I have an A1 engine car with low miles and it was involved in an accident. I saw an A4 car for sale with high miles.

1) can I just take the A1 engine and trans from my car and put into the A4 car? What do I have to do to make it works? Are the trans the same?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Default A1 engine intercheable with A4 engine

I have the engine, trans and the ECU from the 2001 Honda Accord A1 car. I found clean an A4 car with bad engine and trans.

Can I put the A1 engine, trans and the ECU in the A4 car and everything works good?

Anyone knows?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:22 PM

If you got the engine from the junkyard it's possible the engine is bad. Run a compression test to see what kind of shape it is in.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

No, its the other way around. He has a good engine & transmission from his car that had a collision. He wants to put that into a good car that he found with a bad engine.

The whole wiring harness is different for a ULEV car (A4). I suspect the easiest thing is to convert his good engine to a ULEV by using sensors & stuff from the bad engine of the ULEV car.

I'm pretty sure the pin-outs from the ECU to certain things like the air/fuel sensor are different for the ULEV engine. You'd almost have to take the whole wiring harness out of your crashed car. Not just the ECU.

Quick Reply: F23A4 install in a non ULEV EX