General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fail Smog Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Default Fail Smog Test

hi guy, i just bough this 1992 accord lx and i got alot of stuff replace for the car, like the ignition coil, distributor cap, distributor rotor, ignition wires, spark plugs, a new battery and i though that was it enough fix before gettin the smog test, so i when over to get it done and it fail on me and i ask the guy was is wrong and he dont know >.< so i was wonderin if you guy can help me out here the report of the Smog Test

Old 11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Is your check engine light on all of the time? If so, then get the error code. See: http://techautorepairs.com/dtc.html

The two pin service connector is blue. Use a thin paper clip or wire to connect pin a to b. Turn key to the II position and count the check engine light flashes. A long blink =10 and short blinks=1. So Long Long short = code 21

My guess is that you will get a code 12 (EGR) due to your high NO emissions.

Post the code on here, then we can diagnose.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

no no the check engine light isnt working at all, it there no light comin out of the check engine place, and plus i dont know where the switch for the check engine switch to do the code at

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

I misread the check engine light failure in the picture.

Does you check engine light not turn on at all when you first turn the key to the II position?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 AM

yup it doesnt turn on at all, when I turn the key or anythin is there a way to fix it? or you can tell me the location for it?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light is in your instrument cluster. It is above and to the left of the left turn signal light.

The bulb could be burned out or possible covered with electrical tape. You will have to remove the center console, radio bezel, and the heater control panel, then the instrument cluster.

I posted a link to the 91 shop manual in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. That should provide you with good instructions on how to remove those items.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i am willing to bet that the people that you bought the car from had something to do with removing the chk engine lite bulb before they sold it..... seen that a few times ;;
if chk engine lite is on, the buyer might want to know what the issue is before buying the car ,,,thus some dishonest people remove the bulb ,,,
If the bulb is indeed removed , you might have legal rights to have previous owner pay for cost or help pay for cost to help fix car to pass emission ,,, if bulb is burnt , just replace it ...
And if it is a used car lot , you can sue them if they are not willing to work with you
But first things first, find out why bulb is inop.fix it, . read the code and post it here ,, Like PA said, getting to it is not a very easy task and be careful when you pry out the switches in the cluster they can brake real easy

Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 AM

well thank you guy for all the info i will do that let see wat happen lol

Old 11-21-2009, 05:25 PM

i got the check engine fix and it a code 12, i replace the egr valve but the check engine light still show up? is there anyway to fix it? like part i need to get or cleanin any part?

Old 11-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

There is more to the EGR system than just the valve.

There is a solenoid and a vacuum control valve. The 91 shop manual doesn't have the full EGR test procedure that can be downloaded from the DIY section.

The 94 shop manual has the testing information. It can be downloaded from the spoon link I posted in the online manuals thread in the DIY section. The 94 components may be in different locations than the 92, but the tests should be the same.

There are also the ports that may need to be cleaned out.

Quick Reply: Fail Smog Test