General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed smog-No Timing marks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 AM
slloth
Unregistered
Default Failed smog-No Timing marks?

Failed Smog-"Ignition timing"
"Ignition Timing: 99 BTDC"

The guy at the smog station said there where no timing marks. I was warned about this when I bought the car but it was such a good deal I wasn't too worried. Is it possible it's an aftermarket flywheel with no marks?

I shot it with the timing light and the only mark I saw was a little round "BB" mark that would line up with the advance know turned to almost 30.

The igniter was replaced in November and the mechanic wrote on the invoice "No timing marks on flywheel, set timing best as possible".

Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What year accord? A lot of motors have no marks on the flywheel.

Pre-90 Accords I believe had the timing marks on the flywheel. On newer ones, timing is set on the crank pulley, there are 4 marks. 1 mark is by itself, marking TDC. The other 3 marks are 6º? advance, ~15º BTDC, and 6º retard.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
slloth
Unregistered

Oops! It's a '92 accord.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
slloth
Unregistered

I'm wondering if surface rust could be hiding the marks?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

I think on 92 the marks ARE supposed to be on the flywheel.
Rust sounds like a good idea.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Find the marks and and fill them in with a white colored pencil or white paint pen so they can be seen better with a timing light.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On my 90Ex that I had several years back, the timing marks were on the flywheel. Opening in the cover has a rubber grommet w/ handle to pull and expose the flyhwheel. Grommet is on front side of engine near top of engine, very easy to spot. I liked this arrangment much better than difficult to see timing marks on the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley.

good luck

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
slloth
Unregistered

I put the motor at TDC and I suspect at some point the flywheel was replaced with an aftermarket with out the proper marks. I think by the time the got everything back together they realized it and where to lazy to take it all apart. When I line it up to TDC I see a little "BB" looking indent on the flywheel. Is that what I should see?

Attached Thumbnails Failed smog-No Timing marks?-flywheel.jpg   Failed smog-No Timing marks?-flywheel2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

OEM marks I remember where bright colored lines (white and red) to mark TDC (red) and 15 deg BTDC (white).

You may be able to make a timing mark at correct position by calculating 15 degrees btdc offset on the circumference of the flywheel. Flywheel dimensions may be in the shop manual, or you could get a dimension from an auto parts shop on a replacement. Then 15 degrees offset will be (15/360)*3.14159*(diameter of flywheel at mark position). This will give you the offset length from the TDC mark for 15 degrees. May be tough to measure and mark through the small window, but you should be able to get close enough. Make sure you mark Before TDC, not After TDC.

good luck

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
slloth
Unregistered

I've been calling it the flywheel but I guess what I'm looking at is the flex plate! Anyway I guess I need to replace the whole damn thing. So I will be tearing that all apart next week. I guess I should replace the timing belts while I'm in there?

Quick Reply: Failed smog-No Timing marks?