General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan Doesnt Turn off

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 PM
qvplayr03
Unregistered
Default Fan Doesnt Turn off

ok my passenger side fan doesnt wan to turn off when i turn off my car....when i pulled out the relay it would shut off then it stopped doing that an just stayed on even when the relay is out........i changed the relay and thers no change, if the fans r ran by sensors then shouldnt it turn off when the sensors r unplugged?? Can anyone tell me wher the problem lies??

Old 07-07-2007, 03:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Fan Doesnt Turn off

does it ever turn off? if the car is really hot, it will stay on after awhile after you kill the ignition.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 AM

Passenger side fan is your main fan, condensor fan is on the drivers side. The relay for the main fan is in the fusebox

Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 AM
qvplayr03
Unregistered

no it stays on even when the car is cold lik it has a mind of its own

Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I got your PM, however the answer is already posted by Sir_Nasty. The relay contacts must be shorted for the fan (pax side or radiator fan). Relay is in the underhood fuse box.

If fan doesn't turn off when relay is pulled, you either pulled wrong relay, someone has hot-wired the fan, or a short to a permanently hot wire in the fan circuit.

BTW, post your year/model in your signature line. All are basically same however.

good luck

Old 07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
qvplayr03
Unregistered

oh ok i see....i replaced the relay the other day and thers no change but.....noone has hot wired anything on the car, is it posible to be the radiator control module??

Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 AM

What car are we talking about?

Power to the radiator fan flows through the radiator fan relay (no other path), so if the fan runs w/ the radiator fan relay out the fan is hot wired or fan wiring is shorted to a hot circuit. Are you sure you know which relay is the radiator fan relay? Do you have a manual to reference? If not get one, so you will know for sure.

good luck

Old 07-07-2007, 12:05 PM
qvplayr03
Unregistered

yeah im sure its the right relay i checked on the diagram......before when i pulled the relay out it would turn off then it stopped doin that, were talkin about my 94 honda accord ex. cood it be the gauge sensor underneath the distributor??

Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Sensor only causes the relay drive coil to be grounded and if relay is out, the circuit is open in any case.

Only possibility is the blu/blk wire to the radiator fan is shorted to a hot wire at some point, likely in the fuse box. You could lift the fuse box and disconnect the blu/blk wire and see if the wire remains hot at the fan. If yes, then short is in wiring somewhere between fuse box and fan.

Trace blu/blk wire from fan through harness to fuse box.

good luck

Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
qvplayr03
Unregistered

ok ill try that right now thanx alot......it couldnt be a faulty radiator module tho do think??

Quick Reply: Fan Doesnt Turn off