General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fan Running - Now happens more often

Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Turkey
Unregistered
Default Fan Running - Now happens more often

Hi Everyone - This is my first post. My accord is a 97 4-door ex-r, 2.2 L vtec auto. I've got 240,000 KM on it (I'm not sure how many miles that would be). My rad fan has been staying on after I shut the car off, or coming on again a minute or so after I shut the car off. I've read through the forums and this seems to be normal. BUT, this has started happening on a consistent basis after highway driving (60-75mph). It seems to happen more often when it's hot, or the A/C is on, although I drove for three hours last night in cooler temps with no A/C and the fan still came on once I was home. I had my rad flushed and filled (the collant was not 100%) but that has not helped. My temperature gage never reads hot, and it's always at the same point. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why this is happening more often now. In the past, I only remember it happening on one occasion when my rad developed at leak. (THe rad was replaced 2 years ago btw) Thanks for the help.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Fan Running - Now happens more often

I want to say that it's normal for it to stay on after you have the key out, but it could be the sensor going bad if you think the fan shouldn't be on. Does it stay on for a real long time?

Important thing is the car isn't over heating.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the engine coolant temperature is above about 225 degrees when the engine is off, the fan control unit will kick on the fans for about 15 minutes. The hotter it is out, and the more it is driven, the more likely the fan will run after the engine is off.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 AM

it's normal for the fan to run when the engine is really hot even after the car is shut off. On days when it is 100+ outside, the fan will definately run after the engine is off

Old 07-12-2006, 03:48 AM

240,000 km is about 149,128 miles ..........as for the fan staying on,,like other members said ..if it is only on for about 10-15 minutes it is a normal condition ,, if it is longer than that then you got issues

Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Turkey
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses so far. I tried to reply earlier, but I couldn't find the right button to clikc to do so. Rookies!

My fan comes on after a shut the car off, or it stays on. This usually last for only 3-5 minutes and then stops. It never stays on for as long as 15 minutes. This has been happening quite frequently lately, but I don't remember noticing this in the past. Can you think of anything that may be causing this to happen more often now?

Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Turkey

Can you think of anything that may be causing this to happen more often now?
ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca
The hotter it is out, and the more it is driven, the more likely the fan will run after the engine is off.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Turkey
Unregistered

Hahaha - Ya, I did read your post about the hotter it is. I guess I didn't express myself that well. I was wondering if there was anything mechanical that was making this happen more this summer than last. It hasn't been happening on only scorching hot days. Last summer I could drive for exteneded periods at high speed and this didn't happen. This summer, I cannot. I'm just trying to find out if there was any common knowledge about a sensor or something that is maybe shot and needed to be replaced. I did replace my coolant as a test showed that it is wasn't up to par. I don't know that much about coolant. Does it lose its ability to cool over time, or does the boiling point change with age?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Coolant loses its ability to suppress corrosion, but it doesn't lose it's ability to cool over time. Get new coolant anyway, because corrosion isn't good.

You call it an EX-R & you say KM, so you're not in USA. I don't know what's different, but here goes...

The fan switches can change with age, get sticky so they run longer, etc... The fan switch in the thermostat housing is responsible for running the fan while the engine is running. The other fan switch in the head, is responsible for running the fan after you turn off the car. I don't have a '97, so you'll have to find a diagram (repair manual?) to tell you which sensor that is. The sender for the temperature gauge has only one-wire so that's easy. But the ECU's temperature sensor & the fan switch each have 2 wires.

With age & old coolant, the radiator can get cruddy inside, or the thermostat can get sticky. That means the entire cooling system might be running hotter this year. That will cause the fan to run longer.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Turkey

Hahaha - Ya, I did read your post about the hotter it is. I guess I didn't express myself that well. I was wondering if there was anything mechanical that was making this happen more this summer than last. I
You can do like Jim says and get your cooling system in good working order. Most elecrical problems with the system will cause the fans to run exessively or not at all. I can give you a list if you want to start throwing some parts at it. But dont be surprised if it doesn't change anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan Running - Now happens more often