General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Default Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement

Because I found one for a very good price, I bought one of these:
http://www.try-intools.com/

In short, the tool is the cat's meow for rotor removal onourAccord,and I strongly recommend it to everyone who has a car with the same style front brake.

Because I now have the tool forever, this morning I bought a set of very inexpensive rotors that were on sale at PartSource. They're made in China, but they look essentially identical to the OEM. If they don't work out, and Ihave to replace them next week, I don't care at all, because I know I can replace them in a grand total of about 45 minutes of very easy "work".

I would have posted pictures of the job, but that site's video of stillphotos with text descriptionshows very well exactly how the tool works.

After installing the rotors, I performed the rotor-conditioning procedure recommended by JimBlake and that went very well. As of right now, the brakes work exactly like thoseon any new car on Honda's lot (at least on those having drums in the rear, if they still exist).

All we need now is a new windshield and the car will look(from the inside, anyway)and drive like a new car.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement

that looks like a nice tool... where did you find yours and what did you pay for it?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Here's where I bought mine.
http://ww devildogtools com/
I got excellent, fast service there.

Last edited by WheelBrokerAng; 05-21-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM

list is 229.95, so where Tony1M got his is a great price

Old 05-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Holy Chit...that is not a great prices....I was thinking about 80 bucks or so....

Old 05-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Is there a problem with the Honda rotors that require the use of this tool? I have not yet replaced a rotor on my accord so I don't know what problems if any to expect. On my Acura I just removed 2 phillips screws, the caliper and the rotor came right off.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

The design on the Hondas until ~2002 was that the hub was over the rotor. So you basically have to take apart the front suspension to pull the knuckle to unscrew the hub from the back where the axle comes in.

That tool that Tony1M showed will pull the hub from the bearing, so you don't need to remove all of that suspension stuff.

Tony, how hard is it to put the hub back in to the bearing? I thought that you have to get the hub pressed into the bearing.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

PA... Honda switched the Accord back to normal front brakesbeginning in 1998.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:21 AM

Igreased, aligned,then tapped the hub into the bearing until just enough of the threaded axle could bepoked out so that I couldscrew the big nut on the axle a thread, or so.

ThenI put the36mm socket on the nut and slowly started tightening.The assemblypressed together quite easily at first, and then further tightening pulled everything together so that therewas no play whatsoever.

(In the days before hyraulic shop presses, shop presses did their job when the press operator turned a large-diameter hand-wheel that was attached to a large-diameter, fine-pitch, square-threaded shaft. Essentially, parts were pressed together solely by the force exerted bya large screw, rather than the modern version's hydraulic cylinder.Typically, the handle of the presshad on it a sliding hammer mechanismthat the operator could use to "tap" the handle very-precisely tighter. Here's a rather large example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/STANDARD-15-TON-...QQcmdZViewItem)

I theninstalled the four rotor bolts through the hub assembly into thenew rotorsand torqued themto spec., installed the wheel and lug nuts, lowered the front end so that the wheels would not rotate, and then torqued the axle nut to about180 lb ft.

So far I'm happy as a clam with our new rotors.

Afterhaving been through my firsttraining session with the tool, I believe Icould nowreplace one rotorin about 20 minutes.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

PA... Honda switched the Accord back to normal front brakesbeginning in 1998.
Sorry about that. I couldn't remember if it changed at the 6th or 7th generation Accord.

Quick Reply: Fantastic tool for front brake rotor replacement