General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fast Idle Thermo Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Default Fast Idle Thermo Valve

I bought a throttle body because I want to try boring it out and cleaning it up but it comes with an FIT valve. I dont currently have one on my 97 ex. Is there a way to retrofit it on my car? Is there any benefit? Or would it be possible to take it off the TB?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
I bought a throttle body because I want to try boring it out and cleaning it up but it comes with an FIT valve. I dont currently have one on my 97 ex. Is there a way to retrofit it on my car? Is there any benefit? Or would it be possible to take it off the TB?
You sure? I thought F22s had FITVs and F23s don't. You're running a two-wire IAC with an adapter? You won't get a fast idle on a cold engine w/o a FITV.

Attached Thumbnails Fast Idle Thermo Valve-iacfit_vs_racv2.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM

Yeah i have the adapter plate for the f23 to f22 IACV. Most f22s should have an FITV. Mine doesn't and as far as i know, never did. But I never had an issue with the idle until this stuff started.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Which IACV do you have? The newer IACV incorporates the function of the FITV so you don't want both.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Two wire f22b1 iacv

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'm getting more curious. I thought all F22 had the old IACV along with having an FITV. You were the first person to tell me that SOME 97 Accords had the older IACV along with no FITV. So now I'm wondering if there's more than one type of "older" IACV; maybe they made one that's supposed to work without an FITV...??

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM

The IACV looks exactly as all the others look. I should take a picture but its freezing out. You cant see too much with the pics I have.
As far as I can tell all f22/3's should have it.

I could be mistaken, but when working with the TB I couldve sworn there wasnt an FITV under there. Ill have to double check. When looking at pics of other tbs of the f series, they look slightly different.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

AFAIK all F22s have FITVs. The two-wire IACV can't make the car idle high when the engine is cold. The F23 three-wire IACV can do that, so it doesn't need a FITV. The F23 still has coolant lines going to the bottom of the TB to keep the TB from icing up in cold weather. But the lines go in and out of a short plate, not a cylindrical FITV containing a plunger.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Yeah. I see the difference in the three and two wire iacv's now. I have a two wire, I had to buy the adapter plate for the f23 im swap. I still have to double check but i couldve sworn i havent had to deal with the fitv.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Parts drawings show an FITV (#14) bolted to the underside of the throttlebody. Same for 2-door and 4-door EX 5-spd models. 97 EX wagon apparently only came as automatic, but it shows an FITV also. When you first mentioned not having an FITV I guess I didn't look at the drawings.

Not sure how that relates to your car, unless a previous owner swapped the TB with one from an F23?

Attached Thumbnails Fast Idle Thermo Valve-97-ex-tb.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fast Idle Thermo Valve