General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Few troubles with my 03 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Question Few troubles with my 03 Accord

Hi, I recently got a 03 Accord Coupe V6 which came full-equip but i have few problems with it that i need to solve. If someone could help me

First of all: my electronic door locks doesn't work i can hear something move inside but it doesn't lock the door(I can only lock them manually).
Second: i have no lights inside(roof lights) so when its dark and i open a door i can't see anything in the car.
Third: I have a small problem with my driver seatbelt sometimes even if i have my seatbelt the car detect like there is no one on the seat(I fear that in an accident the airbag would not deploy)

Those are the most important problems i have to fix.

Thanks for help

Old 09-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

1. Which door(s) have the power lock problem? Will the door locks work using the switches on the passenger door?

2. Are the map lights the only lights not working on the interior?

3. Is the issue that the seat belt light remains on when you have the seat belt fastened?

Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 PM

1. Both doors can't be unlocked with electronic locks only manual lock works.

2. The two in front and the one in the middle of the car are indeed the only ones.

3. Im not sure of what you mean.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

1. Looks like you have some electrical testing to do to determine the issue with the power door locks. Are you planning DIY testing and repairs? If yes, do you have a volt meter and a test light? Do you know how to test for power and ground on circuits?

2. So the map lights and dome lights are the issue. Start simple. Have you tried replacing the bulbs?

3. I'm trying to figure out what dash light is turning on. Is it the red fasten seat belt sign? Which seat belt is giving you this issue (driver's or passenger's)?

Old 09-06-2020, 06:56 PM

1. I plan DIY testing and repairs indeed. I plan to buy a volt meter this week but i don't know where i can get the test light. And No i don't know how to test them but i would be glad to learn how to.
2. I was planning doing it, i think i will start with one bulb.
3. Sometimes the seatbelt one and sometimes both airbag and seatbelt. Driver Seatbelt.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

The auto parts stores have a test light for around $10. For the volt meter, you can also get an inexpensive meter that will test voltage at the parts store or big chain stores.

If you go to the auto parts store, ask them to scan for codes on your car. Then write down the code numbers and post them on here. Parts stores do this as a free service in most states.

For electrical testing, practice measuring voltage on your car's battery. Red meter lead to the + battery post and black meter lead to the - battery post. Then move the black meter lead to any bare metal bolt in the engine bay and you should still get the same reading. Do the same with the test light as it is the same principal.

You should also test the fuses with the test light. I put a link at the bottom of this post on how to test fuses that is very quick to do.

#1 May be the more involved electrical testing. Checking the fuses would be my first step that is why I recommended testing earlier.

#2. The 03 accord should have a sliding switch to enable the map lights. Just make sure that switch isn't set to off. The circuit is pretty simple, so testing should be straight forward.

#3 is probably the internal switch in the receptacle where you insert the seat belt. Hopefully the parts store's scanner can pull the seat belt/SRS codes. There is a DIY fix that you can try if the issue is the switch in the seat belt buckle.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did these issues start after you purchased the car? If the lights did not go out one by one then check to see if it turns on manually. If it does then check your door switch.
Has this car been in an accident? If so did a reputable collision shop fix it or did a friend fix it? Those lights seem to me there is something wrong with the SRS system so you should have a code.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:31 PM

Car isn't supposed to have been in an accident. I also just bought the car for 800 bucks(canadian dollars). So i knew there was few things to fix on it.
As far as i know the only others light that come in the dash are the DRL, and the three lights linked to abs system but i know its normal.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:28 PM

So for the lights inside it was only a blown fuse.
For the doors i didn't have time to remove the doors panel.
And for the seatbelt i talked with the previous owner of the car he told me he know how to fix it just need to have the part(which is not always easy to get in our area) but its only a simple thing to change at least.
Now all i have to check is finding a new bumper too and i hope its easy to change.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Are you talking about the lights in the doors are not working. Those you should be able to just pop out and change the bulbs.

Quick Reply: Few troubles with my 03 Accord