General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

FINALLY going to change MT Fluid.. Which fluid to use???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 PM

I use Honda MTF in my 2000 Accord.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Frugalhondaguy
I use Honda MTF in my 2000 Accord.
I don't know if the backwards manual gearbox in the Gen 6 4-Cylinder Accords has the same issues as the V6 6-Speed gearboxes of later generations, but in the V6 world folks use Honda MTF at their own peril; the second and third gear syncros are almost guaranteed to fail within the first 100,000 miles if the Honda fluid is used.

What to use instead? A product known as "GM Synchromesh Friction Modified", now being sold as "ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified" is the go-to MTF.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Update to my earlier comments...

As some of you know, I've recently purchased a 2006 Acura TL 6-Speed, the car had 114,000 miles on the clock when I picked it up, and within the first few hours I noticed several of the gears would occasionally exhibit a small grind before the shifter pushed the internal assemblies fully into place; third gear was the most noticeable, in fact, sometimes third was nearly impossible to engage, and when I'd let the clutch out, the transmission would pop out of gear and back into neutral. Five days after picking the car up I replaced the MTF with ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified, and instantly all of the shifting issues, third gear included, were cured.

I cannot recommend the ACDelco MTF strongly enough for those of you with manual transmissions.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear it wasn't anything major

Last edited by poorman212; 06-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Good to hear it was anything major
Yeah, I had done a lot of research on the 6-Speed models and was actually expecting to experience the shifting issues with the transmission. I ended up ordering the Synchromesh before I even took delivery of the car.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 PM

My Ford Tempo used auto transmission fluid. I wouldn't put it in a transmission that it wasn't specified for. Wikipedia has a nice article about G-5 gear oil.

How often do I need to change the oil on '14 with the 6 speed manual. I haven't found it in the owners manual.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Corvair
My Ford Tempo used auto transmission fluid. I wouldn't put it in a transmission that it wasn't specified for. Wikipedia has a nice article about G-5 gear oil.

How often do I need to change the oil on '14 with the 6 speed manual. I haven't found it in the owners manual.
The Owner's Manual for my TL states 60,000 miles for the first MTF change, and then every 30,000 miles thereafter; don't know if this applies to a 2014 model but it most likely won't hurt.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
I don't know if the backwards manual gearbox in the Gen 6 4-Cylinder Accords has the same issues as the V6 6-Speed gearboxes of later generations, but in the V6 world folks use Honda MTF at their own peril; the second and third gear syncros are almost guaranteed to fail within the first 100,000 miles if the Honda fluid is used.

What to use instead? A product known as "GM Synchromesh Friction Modified", now being sold as "ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified" is the go-to MTF.
So what is the difference between GM Synchromesh and the AC Delco friction modified version? Can the 2 be mixed? Just asking as I have a qt of the GM stuff sitting on the shelf.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
So what is the difference between GM Synchromesh and the AC Delco friction modified version? Can the 2 be mixed? Just asking as I have a qt of the GM stuff sitting on the shelf.
So the line of GM Synchromesh products has been renamed ACDelco Synchromesh; that said, there are two MTFs available, regular Synchromesh, and Synchromesh Friction Modified. Per reports from the Acura TL community, the regular Synchromesh is as bad or worse than the Honda MTF and should be avoided at all cost. Fortunately Amazon sells the Friction Modified stuff for only $10.62 per quart, and the 6-Speed transmissions only need 2 quarts plus an extra 10 ounces or so, so the cost isn't at all onerous.

Disclaimer: I've never used the non-Friction Modified stuff, so I have no first hand comments to make.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Default Thank you all

Thank you very much everyone. I am really grateful for all the ideas and suggestions. It was truly helpful for such a confused guy.

I didn’t get the Honda MTF or the AC Delco so finally settled for the Total Transmission oil 85w90 GL4. It’s over 6 months now and so far no problems. I pray it continues so.

Another request please; how can I find from my engine number if my engine is F23 A1, A4 or A5? On the block it’s written:
F23A
222 1379

Once again, thank you all for all your help. I will update this post later in time, especially if there is any change in my Gear box

Quick Reply: FINALLY going to change MT Fluid.. Which fluid to use???