General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First Accord Problem - It shuts off

Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM
volley13
Unregistered
Default First Accord Problem - It shuts off

Here's the car's description:

1998 Honda Accord LX, 4 cyl
approx 120,000 miles

Recently, my son said he was driving, came to a stop light, and when he stopped, the car just shut off. He started it, and kept going. About 10 days later, the same thing. This time, just before coming to a full stop, the car shuttered, then shut off. He restarted and took off.

I know it was time for a tune up so I took it to the mechanic. They said they'd have to catch the "shut off" when it happened to figure out what was going on. Of course, it didn't do it but I had the tune up done anyway. About a week later, it happened again.....any ideas on what this could be?

thanks....

Old 06-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

any codes?? ignition switch recall done ??

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Fuel pump relay?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deserthonda
ignition switch ??
See if he can make it happen by wiggling the key.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
volley13
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses....

1. No codes detected during the tune-up process.
2. Ignition switch recall done?? No, this has not been done. Would this be a free recall item from Honda? Can you explain how this could be a possibility? Thanks.

I'll have my son try the wiggle key thing when he gets home today. As for the fuel pump relay,??? Other than the normal wear & tear items, and having the timing belt replaced some years ago, like a lot of Hondas, the car has been trouble-free.

Thanks again.....

Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Honda has recalled the ignition switches. ANY dealer can look up your VIN & tell you if it qualifies, & tell you if it's already been done on that car. If you're lucky, it'll be FREE.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 AM

What is on your son's keychain? The reason I ask is: at work in order to enter the building we have these key "fobs" that go on your keychain. You swipe it in front of a pad and the door opens for you. The "fob" emits a little radio signal that can interfere with the anti theft chip in car keys. My car was shutting off intermittently and I figured out that the fob was the culprit. I removed the fob from my keys, and the problem went away.

Also when the car shuts off does everything shut off? Or does the radio, ac, etc stay on and the engine is just not running anymore?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Default First Accord Problem It shuts off

When I first start my car it will completely die within 3 mins. Its like someone turned the key off cooling fans stop too. No sputtering or anything, just shuts down. I hardly ever drive the car and noticed it a couple months ago. It starts back up and after driving a while it wont do it again? Its my 94 Z28. Anyone have any ideas??
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===

Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
volley13
Unregistered

No key fob or anything on his keychain. When the car shuts off, things like the radio, a/c, etc. do remain on.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM
HGBOONE
Unregistered

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your son's car? My accord is doing the same thing. The only thing unique is that it never shuts of if it has at least 1/4 tank of gas. I suspect fuel pump, but I do not know how to be sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Accord Problem - It shuts off