General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First post, Engine suddenly stops

Old 07-04-2008, 05:39 AM
honda4lyf
Unregistered
Default First post, Engine suddenly stops

Hi guys this is my first post here at hondaaccordforum. I have a 94 honda accord lx coupe with 140K miles, and my mechanic just did major tune-up last weekand replaced the ffg: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, oil change and transmission flush with Honda fluids. I told him that my car's engine dies whenever I make a sudden stop while the A/C is on and after driving the car for few miles. He told me that it might be the timing or theworn outdistributor cap and rotor.

After the tune up, I went to my friends house (30 miles driving) and my car'sstill doing the same problem whenever I stop at the redlight and the A/C is on. Its seems that it only happens whenever the A/C is on.

So what do you guys think? Kindly give me some info before bringing it back to my mechanic.

Thanks in advance and more power to Hondaaccordforum.com!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: First post, Engine suddenly stops

Does idle go very low when AC is on and engine dies due to insufficient RPM? You may have a dirty or defective Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) that is failing to compensate when you come to a stop, allowing engine to die.

Another possibiiity isthe lock-up torque converter is not being released when you come to a stop. If engine is overloaded and idle is pulled way down like driving a car to a stop w/o enaging the clutch, this may be the problem.

It could also be a fuel supply problem. Does car start immediately after dieing, or is it difficult to restart? If hard start, listen carefully when turning keyswitch to ON (not start) and see if you can hear fuel pump in fuel tank run for 2-3 secs, then cut off. It's a buzzing sound that can be heard if noise level is low. If you have dead silence, the fuel pump is not engaging. It could be a bad Main Fuel Relay or bad fuel pump.

No Check Engine Light? If yes, you need to get the code. See DIY section for instructions.

good luck

Old 07-04-2008, 01:07 PM
honda4lyf
Unregistered

Yes, when the A/C is on, the idle go lower than normal and the engine dies due to insufficient RPM. Where can I find that Idle air control valve?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

It is on the back of the intake. To the right of the throttle body and close to the firewall. It has an electrical connector and 1 or 2 coolant hoses going to it.

In the DIY section, the Acc5th gen ..... thread has a link to dhost page that has the 94 shop manual that you can download.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM
honda4lyf
Unregistered

I tried to reset the ECU and I found out that the 7.5 backup fuse is busted; and whenever I putthe good fuse, the meter lights keep on turning ON.

It's weird because without that backup fuse the car runs fine (w/out the A/C ON).
what do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM

What are "meter lights"? Be specific which lights are coming on. Does car not run when 7.5A fuse is installed?

good luck

Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
honda4lyf
Unregistered

Meter lights in the dashboard like rpm, fuel and speedometer. The car is running with or without the 7.5 fuse installed.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Lights are controlled by a dash switch w/ a variable brightness control. They should only come on when lights (park or full lights) are enabled. If they stay on, the dash switch is faulty.

good luck

Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 PM
honda4lyf
Unregistered

I see. Anyway, they only stay on when the I put the 7.5 backup fuse. Without the backup fuse, meter lights are out; engine will run fine until I turn on the AC and make a sudden stop.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

The sudden stop makes me think theres a bare wire somewhere in the dash. It moves& shorts out when you brake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post, Engine suddenly stops