General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed It ! ..Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile Fixed It ! ..Maybe

Ok i've been messing with this 90 accord for going on 2 months now

Car starts runs Fine till it warms up .. then it starts Flooding out when I held gas @ 1500-2000 rpm range I mean Pucking Poping like Crazy But never Dying So I've been on every Dam Accord forum I could find trying to get help and this is what all I've done to fix it !

New Fuel filter ...No Change !
New EGR Valve ...No Change !
New Plugs ........No Change !

Drilled out EGR Port Plugs and cleaned them ....No Change !
Removed IACV Cleaned it.. also swaped it out with Donor ...No Change !
New PVC Valve... No Change !
Pulled Main Relay Checked all the Solder points Looked ok !

After all this Crap I got to noticing that my Fans would Come on no matter what temp was ! They would come on First thing when i turned Key ?
So I found Post about how there is a Temp Sensor that Sends Signal to my ECM And tells it how to Regulate the Fuel Injection Some how So today I spent $ 20.00 on new Temp Sensor THE ONE UNDER DITRIBUTOR With 2 wire plug !

I Reset ECM Car ran fine then it started Same crap again For just a Minute then CLEARED UP !!!

I've driven it around maybe 40 mls and Nothing !

Maybe it took the ECM a Few Seconds to Reconize new sensor I dont Know !!!!

Last edited by timmy2dollar; 01-13-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the post. I have a couple of questions.

Does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds when you first turn the key on to do a bulb check? Was the check engine light turning on while driving?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

(PAhonda) Check engine light never came on ! Before or after I changed this sensor ...Ill have to check and see if it comes on for a few sec.when I turn on key Cant remember ... why do you Ask ?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

That sensor is the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. I read where a faulty ECT sensor can cause problems, but I always assumed a bad sensor in a car would be detected by the engine computer and cause the check engine light to turn on. The ECT may fail in such a way that the engine computer doesn't know it is getting faulty readings.

It sounds like you have fixed the problem.

When you first turn the key in the car to the II position (don't try to start the car) the check engine light turns on for about two seconds. This is a test of the bulb, so you can be warned if a real problem is detected. I just wanted to make sure this light is working properly, so you are alerted if another problem is hopefully detected by the computer.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

The ECT sensor can throw a CEL if it's altogether bad, like open-circuit. But if it's reading incorrect by 30-degrees then the ECU probably can't recognize that as a failed sensor.

The newer ones (like 2003+) have some error codes about the cooling system not working properly, that's probably what you get. But 1990 doesn't even have an error code like that.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the Replys I'll keep you updated on how it does !

the One thing I hate About these Forums is I can allways find Some one with same problem But no one ever Follows up on.. if or how they Fixed it ! that **** drives me Nuts ...lol

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

People who dissappear without saying whether the fix worked, that's pretty common and it's frustrating. So thanks ahead of time for letting us know whether it's REALLY fixed.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Update my car started missing a little again this time CEL comes on ! but I cant pull any codes ... Also my Cel light Doesnt come on at all when I first turn key on befor cranking ! Cel light went away when I restarted car ?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Describe how are you trying to pull codes? What is happening that you can not read them?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

PA Honda Im trying to cross out the plug like everyone says to do, then turn key on nothing happens no blinking CEL light ! Like i said before the CEL doesnt come on for a few Seconds when i first turn on the Key ! But it did Throw a CEL light when car started Missing ! But it was gone when I restarted Car thats when I tryed to pull Codes Nothing !

Quick Reply: Fixed It ! ..Maybe