Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Flaky Side Mirror (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/flaky-side-mirror-57556/)

Rob2000AccordLX 12-06-2013 03:19 PM

Flaky Side Mirror

My driver’s side mirror control is being flaky. It works to control it from left to right but not up and down. Sometimes it will start working again on its own. Usually, if I want to adjust the mirror up and down, I have to open the window and do it manually. The control works fine for the passenger side mirror. I’m thinking of trying to spray some contact cleaner in the part of the control that switches from left to right and/or trying to spray some lube (silicone or something) down behind the glass on the actual mirror. Has anybody else experienced this? What did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

TexasHonda 12-06-2013 08:48 PM

I have noticed at times that my 94 EX will only move laterally, if I adjust the up/down to another position. I usually can track to desired postion w/ a little extra effort.

A new power window is relatively inexpensive, although matching color may be more expensive. Some use black and leave it unpainted.

good luck

JimBlake 12-09-2013 10:25 AM

Do you hear the motor working when you try to aim the mirror up & down? I think the mechanism is connected with ball/socket type connections, any maybe it just snapped out?

Rob2000AccordLX 12-09-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 336723)
A new power mirror is relatively inexpensive, although matching color may be more expensive. Some use black and leave it unpainted.

I didn't realize how inexpensive they are. I went on rockauto.com and they start around $25. May have to get one.

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 336829)
Do you hear the motor working when you try to aim the mirror up & down?

No, I don't hear the motor when aiming up and down.

poorman212 12-11-2013 05:42 PM

I'd test the switch before replacing the unit.....if you are not sending power to the mirror, what is the new one going to do?

Rob2000AccordLX 12-11-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 337021)
I'd test the switch before replacing the unit.....if you are not sending power to the mirror, what is the new one going to do?

I'm thinking that since the right side mirror works with no problem with the same switch, that the switch is okay.

JimBlake 12-12-2013 06:59 AM

The 4-way rocker switch might be OK, but the toggle that selects right vs. left side mirror might be open-circuit. Or some other flakiness in the wiring.

Rob2000AccordLX 12-12-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 337058)
The 4-way rocker switch might be OK, but the toggle that selects right vs. left side mirror might be open-circuit. Or some other flakiness in the wiring.

Okay, I think I'll take the door apart and see if anything looks awry. I'll try some contact cleaner on the switch and see if that helps.

Rob2000AccordLX 05-06-2014 11:18 AM

I finally took the panel off to look at my issue with the door lock. When I reconnected the mirror, I hit the connector with some contact cleaner and dielectric grease. Now it's working!

poorman212 05-07-2014 08:18 AM

Keep your finger crossed.

Thanks for the follow up.