General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing (!) Tire Pressure Light? - 09 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Default Flashing (!) Tire Pressure Light? - 09 Accord

Long story short, bought new wheels and tires, came with new sensors, paid to get sensors registered/encoded/set to my car, all was good. TPMS light went off and I was able to turn VSA on and off again. Shortly after I had to replace two defective tires and then the TPMS light came on again. Went back to the place that registered the sensors to my car and they said the sensors are defective (which is most likely untrue) and that the light should go away on it's own. Wishful thinking, I know.

What can I do to get this light off? It's not a solid ! light that would just indicate a tire pressure issue, it's ! but flashing consistently. It's maddeningly annoying. VSA can be turned on and off as well.

Last edited by ovukelj; 05-30-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

That is the low tire pressure indicator. If the tire/wheels were a different size than stock, it may need the TPMS threshold reprogrammed. There is a TPMS threshold writing that is usually done when changing tire sizes.

In general terms, the procedure they do is to enter the TPMS Mode Menu, select Reprogramming for accessory tire, re-write the threshold data, enter the 10-digit tire information printed on the new tire pressure information label (Honda wheels), and adjust tire pressure, etc. for non-standard tire. Many independent tires places can program in new TPMS sensors; however, their software may or may not have the capability to access certain menu items with the car's computer.

Otherwise, if it is not due to the tire/wheel size change, then it may be a leak. If one or more tires with the low pressure is filled back to the proper threshold, once you drive it, it should go out pretty quick. If this occurs frequently where you have to fill the tire every few days or weeks, you probably have a leak (valve stem, grommet, nail or screw).

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
That is the low tire pressure indicator. If the tire/wheels were a different size than stock, it may need the TPMS threshold reprogrammed. There is a TPMS threshold writing that is usually done when changing tire sizes.

In general terms, the procedure they do is to enter the TPMS Mode Menu, select Reprogramming for accessory tire, re-write the threshold data, enter the 10-digit tire information printed on the new tire pressure information label (Honda wheels), and adjust tire pressure, etc. for non-standard tire. Many independent tires places can program in new TPMS sensors; however, their software may or may not have the capability to access certain menu items with the car's computer.

Otherwise, if it is not due to the tire/wheel size change, then it may be a leak. If one or more tires with the low pressure is filled back to the proper threshold, once you drive it, it should go out pretty quick. If this occurs frequently where you have to fill the tire every few days or weeks, you probably have a leak (valve stem, grommet, nail or screw).
The light isn't solid, it's actually consistently flashing the whole time. Sorry if I didn't make the clear, I'm going to re-edit the post. I also recently put on new Bridgestone tires and the flashing ! light is still on.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Is it only the (!) tire pressure light on now and not the TPMS indicator light?

If the TPMS light is not on, what I wrote previously should still be applicable. If the TPMS light comes on, it may be the sensor (it may have an issue with the batteries inside the sensor or a faulty sensor). Batteries with a low charge inside the sensor will cause the TPMS indicator light to come on and off; until the batteries charge gets too low, then it will just stays on.

Last edited by redbull-1; 05-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 PM

Is it only the (!) tire pressure light on now and not the TPMS indicator light?

If the TPMS light is not on, what I wrote previously should still be applicable. If the TPMS light comes on, it may be the sensor (it may have an issue with the batteries inside the sensor or a faulty sensor). Batteries with a low charge inside the sensor will cause the TPMS indicator light to come on and off; until the batteries charge gets too low, then it will just stays on.
Yep, the guys at the shop somehow got the TPMS light off and VSA working but now I'm left with an even more annoying, flashing light. We're all baffled.

Nah, the sensors are brand new. I don't know what to do here. It's driving me nuts.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

With the low tire pressure indicator light on, there are usually Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) that are set and stored in the TPMS control unit. A scanner capable of reading the TPMS trouble code(s) can retrieve the codes.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM

With the low tire pressure indicator light on, there are usually Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) that are set and stored in the TPMS control unit. A scanner capable of reading the TPMS trouble code(s) can retrieve the codes.
Ah, I'll let the guys know. Sadly, they don't really work with me very well. Do you think a "hard reset" would fix anything?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ovukelj
Ah, I'll let the guys know. Sadly, they don't really work with me very well. Do you think a "hard reset" would fix anything?
No, if the issue(s) remains, it won't change anything. In addition, the code(s) are stored in non-volatile memory.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 PM

No, if the issue(s) remains, it won't change anything. In addition, the code(s) are stored in non-volatile memory.
I went to the Honda dealership and they gave me a 110$ estimate to calibrate the system. Surely a local shop must have these codes or the ability to fix this?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Many shops have OBD scanners capable of retrieving the Honda TPMS trouble codes.

Since your TPMS indicator isn't on, it doesn't sound like a TPMS system. The TPMS indicator comes on only if trouble codes are caused by a system problem rather than low tire pressure.

It may or may not require the tire pressure threshold to be reprogrammed. I am not sure whether most shops will have the personnel knowledge and hardware/software capable to reprogram the TPMS threshold.

Going back to your first post, it sounded like the wheels were changed before. Where the wheels or tires a different size than stock?

Did you check each tire's pressure yourself instead of just relying on the shop?

Last edited by redbull-1; 05-31-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Flashing (!) Tire Pressure Light? - 09 Accord