General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floorwell lightin in 04

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Default floorwell lightin in 04

i wanted to install some lights in the floorwell of my car except i dont know where to get the power from, im guessing it has to come from the panel light wiring but i dont even know where to start looking...

Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Default RE: floorwell lightin in 04

there are a couple of options.... either run a wire (with a fuse) directly from the battery, find an open slot in/on the fuse block or disconnect the cigarette lighter and use those leads then install a switch in it's place.... the easiest way is to get a test light and find an empty fuse space then make sure it's got power and use that....

Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 PM

i just had aa few more questions...

if i choose:

1 the cig lighter way, where do i put the lights becuase i would have no problem instalaling the switch, but i didnt want to tear up any flooring to connect the lights and such, im just a little confused

2 to connect it to the batter, should i most likely find an empty fuse space and how would i run the wiring and all that jazz. also is the fuse block that box under the hood (fuse box)

thank you for the help btw

Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Either way you decide to wire it I would suggest mounting the light underneath the dash so it's hidden behind the glove box, that makes hiding/running the wires more easy as well as making the light stand out/look a little better and interfere with the driver less.... as for the fuse block I was refering to the one located under the drivers side dash, there should be an empty space there and the EASIEST way to run the wire is as follows...

Install the light in the position you want it
Run the wire under the dash (zip tie it to other wires so it's hidden) to the fuse box
Get a test light
Find an open space, use the tester to determine which side is hot (powered) and if it turns off with the key
Disconnect your negative battery terminal
Take a wire and strip down 1/4-1/2 inch of insulation off the wire so the bare wire is exposed
Take a 10-15amp fuse, place the stripped part of the wire right over the top of the unpowered side in the fuse block and then insert the fuse
this will push the wire into the unpowered side and pinch it between the fuse and the connector, now you have a fused connection and a power wire
Reconnect the battery and test everything

If you want a switch just install it wherever you want it, you said that part you can handle so I left it out.... make sense?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 PM

wow, thanks so much this is a great help to me, yea i can handle the switch but i was curious as to where the power would come from if i put a switch in the cig lighter, becuae then i feel i would have to cut wires and splice a light source in that way, if its too troublesom for you too type that method as well its fine, but i was just wondering.. thanks again for the help!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM

i also dont know how to get to the fuse box haha

Old 04-04-2007, 07:35 PM

ooo sorry aand one more thing, is there a fuse box on the passenger side as well becuase i want them over there too, maybe i should get a wire diagram

Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM

I'm not as familiar with the 04 but I doubt that there is a fuse box on that side, you may just have to run a wire accross under the dash behind the center console...... Cigarette lighter method (removing the cig lighter)....

Remove the Cigarette lighter (some just slide out some require removing the center console, removing the center console would be the easiest way to access everything..... how to remove it I'm not 100% sure..)
take your test light and test the leads one will be power one will be ground
connect one side of the power wire to a switch and the other side of the switch to the light's power wire
connect the lights ground wire to the spare ground that the cig lighter was using
Now re-assemble the center console and you're done

If you want to keep the cig lighter active/available but still run a wire then get an inline splicer (splice connector, click the link then scroll down and look at the second set of connectors labeled "Splice Connectors")
If you use a splice connector be aware that you may blow a fuse if you're running an accessory through the cig adapter at the same time as you're running the lights....

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...;subgroupId=24

Make sense?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM

yes thank you very much

Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM

if/when you do it let us know how it turns out and post some pictures if you can!

Quick Reply: floorwell lightin in 04