General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Default Front Brake pad replacement

I got the front pads off and noticed they have a step in the wear surface. Like maybe my rotors are the wrong size? The discs are about 10 3/8" (260mm) in daimeter. Does this sound normal?
Also, how do I know what the minimum thickness is for the rotor? It's stamped in the rortor, but I can't see it without pulling the disc off.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Front Brake pad replacement

Do you have replacement pads yet? perhaps someone put in the wrong pads the last time? Also, if it's in your signature I didn't see it but what year/model do you have?

Old 07-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Yes, I got the pads from Honda last week, they look just like what's on the car. This is very strange (the step in the worn pad), I do know the car was front-end collision repaired, but it runs great and my wife loves it.
The car is a 1994 Honda EX wagon with auto trans (why isn't my signature showing up, anyone?).
The rotors are 23-24mm thick

Old 07-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

minimum tickness is 21 mm so you should have enought to resurface them........Use a shop that has an on car machine to resurface them... rotors will be much smoother and it wont cost you more to remove them out of the car

Old 07-28-2007, 04:38 PM

good advice.
What's with the "step" in the worn pad, are they supposed to be like that? I think my car has the incorrect rotor. Anyone have the rotor diameter for a 94 EX wagon?
TIA

Old 07-28-2007, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: brayner

What's with the "step" in the worn pad, are they supposed to be like that?
Got a picture?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Default Big Problem - Front Brake pad replacement

ORIGINAL: brayner

This is very strange (the step in the worn pad), I do know the car was front-end collision repaired, but it runs great and my wife loves it.
The car is a 1994 Honda EX wagon with auto trans (why isn't my signature showing up, anyone?).
The rotors are 23-24mm thick
I must have the wrong rotors (and hub bearing?)[&o] Left side pads are worn unequal (2nd or outer worn to backing, reason for brake work) - bent shim/clips- new brake hardware kit should fix this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6579/FF3F864E318140B08568099904B05F1A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Big Problem - Front Brake pad replacement

Wagons and sedans have different part numbers for both pads and rotors, is it possible that the knuckles have been replaced and the wrong rotors are on your wagon?
You should look at sedan pads and wagon pads to see the difference.
As far as the uneven brake pad wear, be sure to clean and lube the slider pins [high temp grease]

Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 AM

Yes, make sure you grease the slider pins. I just changed the pads on my dads Dodge Dakota and noticed only the insides pads were worn to the metal because the slider pins were dry.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

O.K., I put the pads on. They are too big.
I'm looking at old receipts from when the collision repair was done (by others). It looks like they purchased a Spindle/Knuckle, Rotor(s) and Caliper(s). I guess my question is, would the correct pads for the wagon fit in the caliper for a sedan? Can I replace just the rotors to bring this car up to snuff?
Possibly I need to get part nos. for the sedan and the wagon to see which are different. Part Nos. for - caliper - pads (they are different) and rotors. If the rotors are different, do I need new Knuckles?
Sorry for such a cryptic post, this ones tough.

Quick Reply: Front Brake pad replacement