General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front End Hum/Slight Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Front End Hum/Slight Vibration

2004 LX, 70k miles.

At highway speeds, I've started to occasionally get a humming noise from the front wheel area. It almost sounds as if a tire has low pressure or out of balance but there is no pulling at all and only a slight vibration of the steering wheel. When the brakes are applied, the noise intensifies as does the vibration in the steering wheel, but only slightly and again, there is no pulling to either side. It almost sounds worse than it drives, if that makes sense.

My first guess is warped rotors (I'm assuming those could cause an issue whether or not the brakes are applied?). This car still has the original pads and rotors. The pads are going to be replaced next week, and I'm going to have the mechanic take a look at the rotors but is there anything else I am missing?

The odd thing is that the humming noise isn't there all the time. It comes and goes seemingly randomly. Although I've only heard it at highway speeds, it doesn't happen every time; and when it does occur, if I keep driving, it eventually goes away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Front End Hum/Slight Vibration

bearings going out? just a thought?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ORIGINAL: klrspz

bearings going out? just a thought?
Yeah, maybe. I read some of the other threads here re: bearings and I haven't noticed any difference in the noise if I turn the steering wheel. But with routine road noise associated with highway speeds and me not wanting to make sharp turns at said speeds I may not be in the best place to test for that. I certainly won't rule it out.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I had a wheel bearing that didn't change much (in noise) when turning. So if it does change, that makes it most likely a bearing. But if it DOESN'T change, that won't completely rule it out.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM

Well... basically if you hear it at low speeds then you'd be able to do the vertical torque test, but since you only hear it on the highway that might be hard...

Also, try to jack up the car, and move the wheel in and out (like you're adjusting the camber with your hands) and if you feel any play that's definitely a bad bearing.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM

here's also a pretty good idea of what it takes to replace a bearing.. not fun

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6420

Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you both. Its too cold and icy around here right now for me to do a whole lot on my own without a garage, but the car is heading to mechanic next Tues. and I'll have him look into the bearing issue.