General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front Lower Control Arm Bolt Snapped. Any tips?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Front Lower Control Arm Bolt Snapped. Any tips?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Coupe. I was in the process of replacing my front lower control arm on the passenger side when the bolt snapped that goes through the subframe and the head snapped right off. I have done plenty of control arms on other cars and had some issues but I think this one takes the cake. I have tried vice grips, welding a bolt to the remaining stud and trying to back it out but it won't budge. I'm curious if I can grind the welded on nut off at this point and just use a new bolt and nut. I'm running out of options and don't know what else I can do. I just bought the car and would really like to get it on the road. Any help our suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Front Lower Control Arm Bolt Snapped.  Any tips?-20160419_141530.jpg   Front Lower Control Arm Bolt Snapped.  Any tips?-20160418_202640.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Here are some better pictures of the stud/broken bolt i'm working with:

[img=http://s31.postimg.org/9je78prvb/Screenshot_2016_04_19_21_58_19.png]

[img=http://s31.postimg.org/b6807otav/Screenshot_2016_04_19_21_58_25.png]

Can I just grind that welded nut off on the subframe and use a new OEM bolt with a nut?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

There are two ways to possibly remove the broken bolt. Both will require you to weld another nut on there.

1. Use a torch on the nut to get it red hot. An acetylene torch can heat the nut quickly. Then try and impact gun.

2. Propane doesn't burn as hot, so it may not work like above. Ive read where you can heat with a propane torch and touch the threads with a candle. The wax works its way into the threads. Keep repeating the heat/candle until the bolt starts to loosen. An impact gun helps with breaking it loose too.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by naterj24
Here are some better pictures of the stud/broken bolt i'm working with:

[img=http://s31.postimg.org/9je78prvb/Screenshot_2016_04_19_21_58_19.png]

[img=http://s31.postimg.org/b6807otav/Screenshot_2016_04_19_21_58_25.png]

Can I just grind that welded nut off on the subframe and use a new OEM bolt with a nut?
I would think so. Just make sure you get the proper length and grade of bolt (usually a 10.9). I only mention that, as it is a safety item.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I ordered a dealer bolt that should be here tomorrow. I was hoping to get the remaining piece of the old bolt out without grinding off the welded nut.. Not having any luck at all so I'm thinking my last option is to grind off that welded nut and the remaining part of the control arm bolt will come out, then just use the new bolt and a replacement nut that fits from a hardware store.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I can't really get my impact gun in there really because of the other parts in the way. I have a wire feed welder "cheap harbor freight 90w". I can try the welding a nut on there option one more time and see if I have any luck. Would I be better off heating the bolt or the subframe piece around the bolt to try and loosen it, the bolt I would guess? I can give MAP gas a try as I don't have a torch on hand.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by naterj24
I ordered a dealer bolt that should be here tomorrow. I was hoping to get the remaining piece of the old bolt out without grinding off the welded nut.. Not having any luck at all so I'm thinking my last option is to grind off that welded nut and the remaining part of the control arm bolt will come out, then just use the new bolt and a replacement nut that fits from a hardware store.
Don't use a hardware store nut. Get a self locking nut from the dealer, NAPA, CarQuest or some other auto store. I only say that as the hardware store nut won't be a self locking nut, and will be a lower grade nut.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright I will go to a Napa and make sure to get a self locking nut. I don't know if the dealer has one as the nut is welded to the sub frame so I think just the bolt is a replacement part. Thanks for the advice! If I can't get the remaining bolt out my only option will be to grind that nut off.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Heat + impacting action are your best friend if you want to keep it stock.

I'd suggest not grinding off the nut, because the bolt could very likely rattle using a locking nut and washer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arm Bolt Snapped. Any tips?