General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front rotor pull

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
jl2000lx
Unregistered
Default Front rotor pull

2000 LX, V6

I need to pull the right front rotor off to replace two of the studs. I have taken off the axle nut and have a shaft puller from the auto parts store. Anything else I need to do before attempting to pull the rotor off? Parts store said no, but have gotten bad info from them before.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front rotor pull

You might not have enough room to get the new stud in, unless you pull the hub out of the wheel bearing.
I'm not sure of your year but some of them are like that, some of them you can grind off one side of the stud 'head' and get them to slide in.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
jl2000lx
Unregistered

Not sure I follow. Can the brake rotor be pulled off the axle by just removing the axle nut and using the puller? Or is there additional hardware that needs to be removed?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

The brake rotor comes off without removing that big axle nut. Remove the caliper, pads, & caliper bracket. Remove the little phillips countersunk screw. Then the rotor comes off just outside of the round projection that centers the wheel.

Now for the fun part... The studs push out thru the back of that hub flange. But maybe there isn't room.Look for a slot or recess that gives clearance. If not, you have to remove the steering knuckle from the car & THAT requires you remove the big axle nut. Have the hub pressed out from the bearing; but this usually destroys the bearing.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:41 AM
jl2000lx
Unregistered

Okay, I have two phillips countersunk screws on the face of the rotor (between the studs), butif I try to remove them I'll destroy the phillips head. 106K miles and they're rusted in there good.

Any suggestions? Any other way to remove the rotor?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

PB Blaster & one of those impact drivers that's like a screwdriver where you hammer the end of the handle.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the phillip screws get destroyed you can get 2 mor at the dealer they cost about 1-2 dollars .. better yet get them in advance

Old 02-14-2007, 04:34 PM

get yourself some PB blaster or WD-40 and an impact screwdriver and two new phillips head screws like they said then you should be set pretty well to do the job...

Old 02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

If you have to destroy them, those 2 little countersunk screws aren't really needed. They're for convenience on the assembly line so the rotors don't keep falling off.

When the road wheel is installed, the lug nuts provide the real clamping force to hold the rotor on.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
jl2000lx
Unregistered

Okay, first of all thanks for all the help so far. Its great to be able to tap intothis much knowledge and prior experience.

I removed the screws last night with an impact driver and pulled the rotor. Unfortunately, there is no room to remove the old studs. So now I guess Ineed to remove the steering knuckle. Any tricks or adviceto doing this?

Once that's done, how do I press the hub out from the bearing? Sounds likeI need to go ahead and get a new bearing as well.

Quick Reply: Front rotor pull