General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension creaks/noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Default Front suspension creaks/noise

My previous 94 Accord had it, left side. Now the new 94 has it both sides. When I go over speed bumps it makes this loud crunchy, creeky, rubbery sound. Someone's got to know what I'm talking about. My previous Accord I tried changing the rubber mounts on top of the coil springs but did no good. What the heck is it? Thanks

Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

If you search ericthecarguy suspension noise on YouTube, there is an excellent video on trying to locate noises.

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If you search ericthecarguy suspension noise on YouTube, there is an excellent video on trying to locate noises.

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web.
Well, since this is a common front suspension noise I've heard on 2 Accords, I figured someone would know exactly what I'm talking about. Just hoping that person chimes in...

However, I will check out the video.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The noise you describe typically results from worn horizontal stabilizer (anti-sway) bar bushings (bushing connects bar to knuckle. The larger guide bushings are usually OK.

good luck

Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Searched around the web, kind of a crap shoot but many describe dry bushings as the issue. It does sound like a thick rubber on metal type of noise so I plan on hosing it down with some Silicone spray to see if that quiets it down. It would at least help pinpoint the problem.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The larger guide bushings are usually OK.

good luck
Is this an option your describing?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are two types of bushing; the bar/knuckle bushings and the bar guide bushings (two mounted facing forward). The larger bar guide bushings usually don't wear out, but are also easily replaced.

See a parts diagram from Majestic Honda for details.

good luck

Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM

I had this exact problem with 2 different Accords. It was more pronounced in cold weather and would even make the noise if I was at a standstill and turning the steering wheel back and forth. In both cases it was the lower ball joints. The ball was seizing in the socket. As the control arm goes through its range of motion , the ball must move in the socket to allow for the angle change between the knuckle and control arm or if you are turning the steering wheel, the ball must pivot with the knuckle as the socket part of the joint remain stationary. Upon replacing them, they were completely dried and seized. I hope this helps

Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by icemoxy
I had this exact problem with 2 different Accords. It was more pronounced in cold weather and would even make the noise if I was at a standstill and turning the steering wheel back and forth. In both cases it was the lower ball joints. The ball was seizing in the socket. As the control arm goes through its range of motion , the ball must move in the socket to allow for the angle change between the knuckle and control arm or if you are turning the steering wheel, the ball must pivot with the knuckle as the socket part of the joint remain stationary. Upon replacing them, they were completely dried and seized. I hope this helps
I'll check that out. I only have noise when the suspension is moving up and down drastically, nothing when turning wheels.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

The bar-guide bushings normally don't "wear out" but they can get dry & make creaking sounds. Grease 'em to see if it gets better.