General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Upper control arms - how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Default Front Upper control arms - how hard?

I have an 1988 Accord and over the weekend I took off and the rear upper control arm ball joint snapped collapsing the wheel. Luckily I was not going fast and less than a mile from home.

After replacing the rear upper control arm, I decided to do all 4 wheels. The back uppers are now done, and wow, they are easy as long as you don't run into problems like I did rusted, stripped nut. (thank goodness for my angle grinder!).

I noticed the front right passenger ball joint has a lot of play in it and I do not want the samething to happen to the front ones.

How difficult are these to replace? I bought new upper control arms with ball joints and new bushings, are they as easy as the rear?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I'm not going to look in the books. just use my 86-89's and the 95. Yes they are easy. Two bolts/nuts found at the strut towers under the hood, of course you popped the upper joint loose. Just did the right/pass side on the 95 about two months ago. Used my youngest son for most of it, he needs to learn this stuff at some point, and we spent ~45 min tops...now he can do the other side by himself soon.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 AM

I did the passenger side last night, easy! The ball joint looked like it was about to pop out any day now. There was so much play in it I could of farted to move it!

It took me about an hour including clean up and test drive. It took about 4 beers.
The driver side is next. Hopefully this is the issue with the shaking at high speeds and during braking.

Car even accelerates better do to getting more grip on the road. the 5-spd seems to shift "tighter" as well. Can't wait to get the driver side done.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by twilliamsen
I did the passenger side last night, easy! The ball joint looked like it was about to pop out any day now. There was so much play in it I could of farted to move it!
Good deal.
That's a WHOLE LOT better than learning to repair the damage caused by a balljoint coming apart on the highway...