General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel delivery system issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Breezy1
Unregistered
Default Fuel delivery system issues

Regarding the fuel system, is there any component that might work only intermittently? A fuel pump either works or it doesn't work, period. Filters are either clogged or they are clear, period. Right?
Once again my car has left my family stranded in the middle of nowhere, and after being towed home acted as if nothing happened. I know it is a fuel issue, because the last time we went through this I had the diagnostics ran and the mechanic told me that a new pump would fix the problem, and for the past 10 months it seems that he was right. But for the past month I could feel the hesitancy as I pressed the accelerator, (one of the old symptoms from the last time this happened), and I knew it was the same old story starting over again. I was right... as I was accelerating to highway speed, on a slight upgrade, I found myself pressing the pedal to the floor, losing speed and then the sputtering to a gradual death. We pissed off a few people (how DARE us interfere with their perfect commute) but we made it to the side of the highway with enough room to be safe.
I think it is important here to remind people, in case they have forgotten, that there are truely nice people left in this mad world who do care enough to go out of thier way to help strangers. And I want to publicly thank the wonderful people who returned to help our family sloshing through the snow on highway 101 in Olympia, carrying a three year old little girl in our arms, for getting us to a warm, dry place, and for the hot chocolate that did so much to lift our spirits. I don't know who you are, but we will take the spirit of your compassion and give it to all who might cross our paths in need.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Default RE: Fuel delivery system issues

that's a bummer. sorry to hear it broke down but I'm glad you got some help. As for your issue, did they replace the fuel filter as well (or is it built into the pump), What kind of car did you have again?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM

nevermind, saw it in the signature block!

is it carb or Fuel Injected?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I was thinking MFR, but not in Washington in the snow!!! Maybe a bad connection when they put the new pump in?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:50 PM

yes ,, fuel pumps can work ( fail ) intermittently .. seen it numerous times,,
did they install a factory ( Honda ) fuel pump?? did they replace the fuel pump relay ? new fuel filter as well ??

have a can of carb cleaner handy,, when car stalls, remove the top lid of the air cleaner , spray some carb cleaner in the carb and see if car starts,, if it does ,, it is a fuel issue ,,

I am really sorry that you and your family were caught in such a situation, especially with a little baby and cold weather,, and at the same time , thanks for those people that kindly helped you out and gave you some comfort..

Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM

I know what you mean by the people pissed off. I don't like to floor it uphill to save myself 20 seconds.

I'd start with the fuel pump. Then i'd check out the main relay. (I have heard lots about main relay issues but never really in the winter. Mainly in summer when it gets to hot.) Also, check for stuck injectors. One way to check is use a long screw driver and place it on each injector. Then place your ear to the end. You should hear a rapid clicking noise, meaning it's opening and closing.

Also, this seems unrelated but how much gas did your gauge say you had left? I've seen torn hoses on fuel pumps before.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Breezy1
Unregistered

You people are way braver than I am. I have considered all of your suggestions myself, as I have read all other posts concerning this issue, and have consistantly reached the conclusion that I got a bum fuel pump, especially now that I know it is possible for them to work intermittantly. It was either that or the trash in the tank idea, which is still probable, and would sure explain all symptoms. But no such luck, nothing is that easy and I did look. It is odd, though, that the pump still whirrs away even if I take it out and bang it around and wiggle its connections while its running.
I will let the dealership do a diagnostic to see if it comes back a fuel delivery system issue again, in which case I will do what I did before since it worked before. One question though, what brand of pump should I install, and which should I avoid? I don't know what I have now, it's white, and the rubber that holds the filter screen to the pump itself looks like it doesn't quite fit like it should, like it may have been forced. That might be normal though.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM

i'd suspect the fuel main relay. it doesn't matter where the car is because people still use the heat. it is very old as well. a failing fuel main relay affects fuel and spark.

did anything happen with the dash lights as it was sputtering and dying?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Breezy1
Unregistered

I noticed nothing happening on the dash. the lights and the radio were still working after the engine died, just no more vroom-vroom.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 PM

i would recommend to replace it with a honda OEM fuel pump, for the most part they are usually very reliable. could it possibly be a failure in the fuel pumps ability to pump gas? as in its being starved? Im definetly no expert on the fuel system, so really i have clue. it just seems skeptical that two fuel pumps would go in that short a timespan, unless there was some underlying issue...

Quick Reply: Fuel delivery system issues