General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Default fuel filter

I have a 1999 Accord EX ,I'm afraid this is a really dumb question. I have the Haynes book and I have gone to the NAPA website and can not find any information on a inline fuel filter. The only one I find is the one on the end of the fuel pump. Am I missing it all together or does it not have one ?

Old 11-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: fuel filter

I believe it's in the tank on the 6th gen. Not 100% sure. On my 95 you could follow the fuel line from the fuel rail and see the fuel filter right below the brake booster and master cylinder in the engine bay.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:27 PM

You in fact do have one,inside the tank,and from what i know,it shouldn't need to be replaced.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:39 PM

The reason for my question is whenI punch the throttle it bogs down like your putting on the brakes. Acts like its starved for gas but let off and it runs fine. Ease into the throttle and you don't have a problem , try passing someone in a hurry and you better make sure there's no one coming for a mile. I know it's not the fuel pump.(don't ask how I know !) The plugs have been changed a couple of months ago but I don't think anything else was. Any ideas ?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I doubt it's the fuel pump, but you can rule it out by rigging a pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure. Tape the gage to the windshield where you can see the gauge while you drive. Fuel pressure is suppose to stay very constant. If it falls off you may have a problem w/ the fuel pump.

Do you have a Check Engine Light at any time? All ignition parts; rotor, cap, spark plug wires, spark plugs in good shape?

I've heard of O2 sensors causing drivability problems, but not setting a CEL. If you have access to an OBD2 scanner, you could monitor O2 sensor for rapid voltage swaps from 0.1-0.2V to 0.8-0.9V, several times per second at speed. If you have high mileage, it might be worth a chance to repair.

good luck

Old 11-28-2008, 06:21 PM

Ok the reason I know its not the fuel pump is because (I hadn't found this site yet)I didn't follow this rule -Always Diagnose First,,, Before Replacing Parts ! So there is a new pump in it and it still runs like it did with the old pump. It's got 225,000 miles on it so hey it was going to go out sometime soonright ? Yeah , yeah I'll go with that good answer. I've almost got myself convinced I didn't screw up that bad after all.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM

This may be a very, very long shot, but is your speedo working correctly?

Only reason I ask is that I know my Vehicle Speed Sensor isn't working correctly because sometimes when I downshift and mash the throttle, the speedo will jump and hit a "false" rev limiter, causing the car to bog down until I let off the gas...

Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Would it matter if it's an automatic ?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 PM

can you rev the engine up ok while car is not moving ??? if it bogs. you might want to make sure you don't have an exhaust restriction ( plugged cat)

Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 AM

I have a friend who is very good with cars and yesterday I took it over to him . He thought sure it would have an inline filter and so he jacked it up and searched for one and of course didn't find it, other than the one on the end of the fuel pump. He then followed the gas lines and clamped one off to see about something with the fuel pressure, that wasn't the problem. If you mash the accelerator to the floor it will bog down like you put the brakes on, let off and it resumes running fine. If you are driving along at any speed and push the accelerator like you are going to pass someone it will get up to 3800-4000 rpms and start bucking. My friend said , it acts like it's in rev limiting mode. In park you can rev the engine to 3800-4000 rpms and then it willbuck just like if your driving down the road. I do have the check engine light on, when I took it in for a tune up to a local guy not a Honda dealer he told me what ever the code was it wouldn't bother anything not to fix it. Now someoneat the Honda dealertold the PO the same thing and that light has been on if I'm not mistaken for several years. Said they could get it to go off for a short time then it would come back on. I don't know, something's not right. I really do apprecitate all your help on this.

Quick Reply: fuel filter