General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump kicks on intermittently- '95 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Default Fuel pump kicks on intermittently- '95 Honda Accord

1995 Honda Accord EX 2.2L Vtec

This issue has been occurring for about 4 months every time I go to start it.

I turn the key to the ll or "On" position. The fuel pump should at that point turn on. It does not. It will eventually. It would take anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes. The more time between driving my car the more time I would have to wait for it to turn on.

Last week, it did not turn on at all. I replaced the Main Relay which is also the fuel pump relay. Same issue. I then replaced the fuel pump and assembly. Ever since, I have been able to get the pump to turn on but in the manner described before. (so the issue is not yet resolved, obviously.)

After all of this, I had my OBD2 reader plugged in and the key in the ll position. My code reader lit up as though it was plugged in and was attempting to connect to the car ECU. It could not. So I sat there pondering all the bad decisions in my life that lead me to this point and the fuel pump kicks on. (This is about 10 min of the code reader being connected and the key on) At that same exact moment the code reader detected the ECU. (NO errors by the way)

This is all very odd to me. Please let me know if any of you have any ideas. Thank you.

Last edited by Bobous; 03-14-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Mor information
Old 03-14-2016, 01:29 PM

I would say look into your ignition switch and associated wiring. Could be a flaky connection or the switch is going bad. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in and either confirm it or give a better suggestion.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 PM

I have moved the harnesses around a bit while the key was on (all the points accessible with the lower dash panel off) and nothing seemed be wrong. I will check more thoroughly now. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

The 95 4-cylinder was OBD1, so you couldn't connect a scanner. Please verify the year of accord, and also if the ECU or engine was swapped in this vehicle.

Is the check engine light not turning on to do the bulb check?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM

The vehicle was manufactured in September 1995. The federal deadline for OBD2 was January 1st 1996. This means that even if the vehicle was made before that deadline, in order for it to be sold legally after January 1st, it must be OBD2 compliant. So many car manufactures became compliant anywhere from 6 months before to many years before that date.
My vehicle actually has both the data OBD 1 on the TCU and ECU in addition to the main OBD2. Although I don't have any OBD1 scanners laying around.
Also, the check engine light stays on until the ECU turns on (which may be 30 seconds after I turn the key to the ii position or 20 minutes) and the fuel pump will engage at that same moment, which allows me to not only connect my OBD2 reader but also start the car with no issues. The code reader connects but does not find any issues. The check engine light also goes off and there are no flashing lights on the dash.
This vehicle has never had a fuel issue during operation no matter how long the drive. It is only on attempt to start it. I am fairly certain now that power is not getting to the ECU for some reason. Are there any sensors that would tell the ECU not to power up fully on start up or to not send power to the Fuel pump?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

I learned something new. I thought all 95 model 4-cylinder accords were OBD1.

Get the part number from your ECU and TCU. Your 95 accord may have a PCM (ECU and TCU combined). Once we know what computer you have, you can test the proper pin to see if it is getting power when you turn the key to the II position. The OEM part number will start with P0A... You may want to inspect the pins on the connectors and ECU to see if any are loose.

Was any work done on your vehicle not long before this problem started?

Have you ever tried shaking the key when it is in the II position to see if that would get the ECU to do the bulb check and prime the fuel system?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 AM

The ECM is located under the glove box on a plate on the back of the floor well. There is a sticker on it with the following- 37820-POH-L51
887-107260
IPT
Manufacture date stamped is Sep 13 '95
I did remove the ECM earlier today and took off the plates to look inside. None of the solder points appear to be cracked, burned, deformed, or otherwise suspect. I did make sure the connectors were firmly and correctly in place. I did not see any obvious damage to the wires at the connectors. Although It would not hurt to run a test.

From that side of the vehicle, I can see what appears to be a Module located under the radio mounted to the body floor. It has a cluster of wires that are covered by a yellow jacket. I am assuming that would be the TCM? Either way it appears to be a case for some sort of circuit board. It about half the size of the ECU.

No work has been done on this vehicle in at least a year other than changing the oil.

I thought this may be an issue with the Ignition switch early on and I have shaken every wire at every connection I could access along with tweaking the key and even hitting the housing. (The lower dash panels are all removed and the carpets peeled back)

Also, where should I look to do the bulb test? I don't see any lights go on and off. The all come on and some go off shortly after turning the key as normal. The rest stay on until the ECU and Fuel Pump kick on. (including the Check Engine light)

Old 03-17-2016, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Looked up the PCM and it is for a 96 accord. The VIN should say 1HGCD55#TA... If your VIN has the letter T, then it is a 96 model. If S, it is a 95. This is just for my curiosity and to help you find parts in the future. There are some differences between the 95 and 96 accords.

The bulb check for the CEL is when the ECU grounds the circuit for about two seconds and the CEL turns on. Since the check engine light turns and stays on, and your scanner won't connect, I would lean towards a PCM issue (and I hate just suggesting the PCM is the problem). You should check out car-part.com for used parts. Sort by distance to see if there are inexpensive PCMs in your area.

The other item you may want to check is G101. This is the main ground for your engine computer. I'd unbolt it, clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sandpaper then reconnect. It is on the driver's side of the upper intake manifold.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:00 AM

You were right. It is a 96. I keep forgetting about the "Model year". I always talk in terms of manufacture date because of the changes in many parts. My mistake.

Were might I find that ground wire? I did look briefly but am unable to Identify it.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

G101 is on the drivers/left side of the intake plenum.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump kicks on intermittently- '95 Honda Accord-5th-gen-g101-location1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fuel pump kicks on intermittently- '95 Honda Accord