General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Tank Filler Neck

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Default Fuel Tank Filler Neck

I thought I smelled a hint of fuel off and on. I got under the car yesterday and noticed the bottom of the fuel filler neck is damp. Is there anything I am missing to this job?

Doesnt look like the tank needs to come down. Almost appears to be an easy job, unless I am just not looking good enough.,

Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Remind me what kind of car you have?

1 - If you're lucky the problem is a crack in some rubber connectors/parts that you need to replace

2 - If you're not lucky the problem is rusty metal underneath those rubber hose-clamp connections

3 - Another possibility is corrosion on the tank, somewhere above that place, & you won't find it until you drop the tank. Maybe you can be clever with a mirror and get a good look at the top of the tank. Some years there's an access panel below the rear seat or below the trunk floor

4 - Some years there's a smaller vent tube that's welded to the same bracket as the fill tube, and will prevent getting everything disconnected

Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Oh I wasn’t thinking! Mine is a 92 LX 4 door.

Its at at the bottom of the long pipe. It’s damp there. The tanks all dry and clean.

It looks to me like I just loosen the clamp and pull it off the rubber, and then it goes up to the quarter panel? Or am I missing something? Is it much harder than I think

heres mine

Spectra Premium FN500 Fuel Tank Filler Neck
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

OK, good. I was thinking there's some years where that 2nd smaller tube is connected differently & hard to get to.

You can get to the clamps on both ends of the rubber hoses #11 & #14?
Then I'm not really sure what that #61 tube is all about. I suspect it's got something to do with triggering the shutoff of the fuel nozzle while filling. And the parts drawing here isn't real obvious how that gets connected.

Do you think any of the leaking is from the rubber hoses #11 & #14 rather than from the metal pipes you show (#15)? Or are those rubber hoses old enough they might split when you disconnect them?

Still, if you find corrosion or some rough surface underneath where the hoses clamp on, you'll continue to have problems, so look real close for a nice surface to clamp things on.

I'm not saying any of this is guaranteed to give you problems. Just for you to think about so you have enough parts & clamps that you don't have to leave it dismantled while you wait for some silly little part.

Oh yeah, one more thing... It looks like after you loosen all the clamps & brackets, that steel-pipe assembly has to come out through the bottom. Got enough room for that to happen?

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-09-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If it's anything like my 97 or 99 were, you have to pop the plastic cover off before you can get in there to fix it. The cover isn't shown in Jim's drawing.
A jack stand and removing the tire on that corner will help tremendously.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
OK, good. I was thinking there's some years where that 2nd smaller tube is connected differently & hard to get to.

You can get to the clamps on both ends of the rubber hoses #11 & #14?
Then I'm not really sure what that #61 tube is all about. I suspect it's got something to do with triggering the shutoff of the fuel nozzle while filling. And the parts drawing here isn't real obvious how that gets connected.

Do you think any of the leaking is from the rubber hoses #11 & #14 rather than from the metal pipes you show (#15)? Or are those rubber hoses old enough they might split when you disconnect them?

Still, if you find corrosion or some rough surface underneath where the hoses clamp on, you'll continue to have problems, so look real close for a nice surface to clamp things on.

I'm not saying any of this is guaranteed to give you problems. Just for you to think about so you have enough parts & clamps that you don't have to leave it dismantled while you wait for some silly little part.

Oh yeah, one more thing... It looks like after you loosen all the clamps & brackets, that steel-pipe assembly has to come out through the bottom. Got enough room for that to happen?
OK I looked under again, I didn’t get to jack it up yet though. But the way I had it parked I was able to get under it pretty easily.

The rubber hoses are very dry, and still in very good condition surprisingly.

But the filler neck is really rusty and corroded. Actually I’m gonna have no choice but change it. Looks pretty rough.

I believe the clamps will come off fairly easy, and it should slide out of the rubber hoses hopefully. That #61 I didn’t see yet, but there’s a plastic cover going up the quarter panel on the inside I’ll have to remove. Hopefully I won’t have to deal with #61. It might not be as bad as a job as I think it is. Thank you so much for putting that diagram up. I truly appreciate that.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
If it's anything like my 97 or 99 were, you have to pop the plastic cover off before you can get in there to fix it. The cover isn't shown in Jim's drawing.
A jack stand and removing the tire on that corner will help tremendously.
Yes I just caught that today. When I looked underneath a little while ago, I could see there is a plastic cover under there.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have a hunch that #61 somehow feeds inside the #11 hose but I don't understand exactly how. I never had to take this stuff apart on any of my Hondas.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I have a hunch that #61 somehow feeds inside the #11 hose but I don't understand exactly how. I never had to take this stuff apart on any of my Hondas.
I’m hoping to just loosen up the clamps 12 and 45 and I will come apart easily. That would be in a perfect world. LOL

First I need to know how low I need to have my gas tank before I pull that off of there. So I don’t have gas flying everywhere.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Slade
I’m hoping to just loosen up the clamps 12 and 45 and I will come apart easily. That would be in a perfect world. LOL

First I need to know how low I need to have my gas tank before I pull that off of there. So I don’t have gas flying everywhere.
If it's like everything else I've dropped the fuel tank on, you'll need to be at least a 1/2 tank or less. Preferably less, as the tank and fuel together are heavy. The less fuel, the lighter it gets.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Filler Neck