General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
jon.hand
Unregistered
Default Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??

Higuys,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 iCTDi estate executive. (UK spec)

Ihave had it for about 6-7 months, on which the first 3 months I had no issues with the car, on the fourth month I noticed a funny smell in the cabin of the car (with the car climate setting on 'auto')It smelt like an exhaust type of smell. When you pushed the climate button to re-circ, the smell would gradually go away. This was really noticeable when the car is sitting in traffic.

I took the car to a local 'kwik-fit' (car exhaust garage) and asked them to check if there were any leaks on the exhaust, on which they checked up to the CAT and said it was ok.

Ithen took the car to my local Honda dealer, who did not appear to be very helpful; they suggested it was coming from bacteria in the A/C system?? They said that the A/C system would have to be chemical cleaned to solve the problem. I said if it solved the problem, please do it. When I got the car back from the Honda dealer after they had cleaned the A/C system?? There appeared to be a very strong chemical smell in the cabin, the Honda dealer said this was normal, and would go after a week or so, on which it did, but after a week the fume type smell re-appeared. When I say re-appeared, it probably never went; it was probably just masked by the chemical smell.

For the last couple of months, I can only drive the car with the climate control, in re-circ

Can anybody help with this??

My other problem with the car, is the dimming of the lights (head lights, interior & rear lights), when the car has the head lights on (& interior lights on) at tick over, all the electrics seem ok, when you gently rev the car the lights dim?? When you rev the car a little harder (say over 2000 rpm) the lights get brighter. Again I have been to my local Honda dealer, who just replies back with the comment 'that this is normal', yet I have never seen any other Honda Accord (same model) do this?? When I bought the car, I fitted a bigger (more amperes) Bosch battery. Any Ideas anyone

Many thanks for reading this problem

Apart from the above, I love the car, & don’t really want to change it.

Jonny H[sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??

Can you hear an exhaust leak? Honda ripped you off. Have you or they changed the cabin filters? The electrical issue sounds like a dying alt.

Signature please.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 PM
jon.hand
Unregistered

Many thanks for your quick reply Falkore, they did not charge me for changing the filters, so Iwould say they were not fitted, do you believe this is the problem? (i have attached a copy of the receipt, I think)

Andyour answer on the lights dimming, being the alternator, the car has done nearly 90K, what would you expect the life expectancy of an alternator?

Many thanks again

I think I've added the signature thing

JonnyH

[IMG]local://upfiles/12958/498F56F37BF04DCDB9C413938C8EAB12.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the sig. Doesn't appear that they changed the filters. You can DIY and there are instructions on HAF for that. You basically just have to take out the glovebox to get to them. I have under 90k and have changed the alt already, so I'd test it. The simple test is to start the car and pull one of the leads off of the battery to see if the car stalls or runs. If it passes this test, bring it to your auto parts store for them to check the charging system with loading (free at most places here in the US). As for the fumes, you haven't solved this issue. Try to listen for puffing leakage near the engine. I'm thinking that you are leaking exhaust and it's getting sucked into the AC vent that is near your windshield.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 AM
jon.hand
Unregistered

Many thanks, I try what you suggested this weekend.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:17 AM

Keep us posted!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Also check & make sure your battery connections are clean & tight.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
jon.hand
Unregistered

Falkore

I took out the glove box and removed the filter, I could only see 1 filter in there. You mentioned previously that there were filters (more than one)

I've had a look through the DIY section, but could not seem to find it, could you advise if there are more than one filter

I took a picture's of the filter I justtook off, whould you say it looks like it needs replacing?

Jonny H

Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM

I'd replace it. I'm not sure if there is 1 or 2 filters. I imagine if you didn't see another filter in there there is probably only one. Also the UK model could be slightly different than the US model. But I don't have that generation (7th gen) accord so I can't really even answer whether or not the US model has 1 or 2 filters.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

The UK '04 Accord is the same as the USA Acura TSX.
The USA7th-gen Accord has only one cabin air filter. I expect Honda would do the same (1-filter) for both cars.

Quick Reply: Fumes in cabin & lights dimming??