General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas pedal sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Default Gas pedal sticking

I noticed that after i got my oil done and got a fuel injection cleaning that when i start my car and go to hit the gas, it is kinda stuck and then loosens to normal. It only does it when i first start my car and not while im driving. Any ideas on what this might be. I doubt its the throttle body since it started after the oil change/injection clean. Any ideas on why this may have just started?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gas pedal sticking

It DOES sound like the throttle body. Its really easy to remove the intake duct & look in there.

Open the hood before starting, & try to operate the throttle pulley. That will tell you if its the throttle vs the cable.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Ok. Now should i take off the intake duct first and then try to operate the throttle pulley? or just go right at the pulley? Also how will I be able to tell if its the throttle or cable?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes, just take out the two bolts on the filter box and unscrew the hose clamp on the throttle body, disconnect the few vacuum lines that are attached to the tube. Yank that sucker out. Look into the throttle body at the butterfly and look for carbon build up. You can use carb cleaner to spray it down and wipe out the big chunks in there. Also, rotate the butterly on the outside of the TB where the cables wrap around and check for any resistance.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Ok I just checked the throttle body/butterfly valve and they look clean from what I have seen across the web. I Figure it must be a cable. Here are some pics and 3 vids I took. They were hard to do since I was alone and plus I didnt really know what I was doing so try not to make fun of me lol. http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...Life/throttle/

Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Not gonna lie, those were pretty funny, but only because you kept saying "I have no idea what I'm doing" and the proceeding to hum/sing Elmo's World? lol. The butterfly and the throttle opener cable thingy look to be clean and not binding... the next thing I can think of is if you follow both cables to the right, they pass through a tensioner thing to adjust slack. It may be possible that overnight they bind to it and get stuck until you break them free with your foot. Keep following the cables and see if they could possibly get stuck in anything and lube them if you can.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:22 PM

LOL I was just making up my own humming lol! I will try to check that out. Its just weird because it started right after They did they fuel injection cleaning to my car, so I figure maybe they hit a cable or something like that....Gonna check now.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

You see where the cable pulls on the throttle drum/pulley. If the pulley operates nice by itself, then start looking further *upstream* if you get my drift. You may be able to work some light grease into the ends of the cable.

For all we know, it might even be the pivot hinges on the pedal itself that are all gummy with dirt & crud, so they stick first thing in the morning. Gotta follow the mechanical action of whats going on, so you can check out each thing. We cant really see it firsthand from here.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Ok. I went and further looked at the cable. On the part where the cable goes into the tensioner, I pushed it into the tensioner and noticed that it was stuck a little bit. Also I noticed that when the car is off, when you push on the gas you can always feel it stick. When the car is on, you feel it stick like once and then it stops.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Try this;

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/AA0ECDAC07C1400FAF261B415C50D955.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Gas pedal sticking