General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas Treatments and Fuel Injector Cleaners

Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Gas Treatments and Fuel Injector Cleaners

So based on what I have read online, it is ideal to put in fuel injector cleaners into my 2006 accord ex-L 4-cyl 17 gal tank for every 3,000 miles. But I often go to Chevron for my fuel, and I've reached an understanding that Chevron gas has a fuel injector additive already in it (hence, Chevron with Techron?).

So would I need to add fuel injector cleaner to my gas tank? And if I do, I just want to confirm if the tank should be half-full before I add the solvent? I have a 12 oz bottle, so I should put in the whole thing.

I feel like adding the cleaner is something that has never happened since the car was purchases in 2005.

Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated

Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel treatment is an absolute waste of your hard earned money; it will do nothing good for your car.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Yeah it is a debatable topic. I haven't ever seen any unbiased hard evidence to prove it does any good. I would NOT add it every 3000 miles. That sounds like fuel injector cleaner manufacturer propaganda. Does the owner's manual recommend fuel injector cleaner? If not, I wouldn't use it...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
Yeah it is a debatable topic. I haven't ever seen any unbiased hard evidence to prove it does any good. I would NOT add it every 3000 miles. That sounds like fuel injector cleaner manufacturer propaganda. Does the owner's manual recommend fuel injector cleaner? If not, I wouldn't use it...
Not only do they not recommend any fuel additives, it is an odds on bet they explictly recommend against such additives. Said another way, virtually every Owner's Manual I've read over the last fifteen to twenty year (maybe more) says something to the effect, "Fuel and oil additives are NOT recommended."

Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 PM

I believe you are correct there. I thought I had seen something like that in my manual, but didn't feel like digging through it to find the statement.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have tried FI cleaners several times.
Have yet to detect any change.
Put it in the category of: "If it not broke, don't fix it."

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

really? r they seriously useless? then why do they sell >9000 brands of the stuff? lol. all for money or what?
well i bought it thinking that it would be good for the car considering that i dont anticipate on driving another car in the next 10 years (current 06 accord 4cyl has 72.5k mileage)

Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by billyspvy
really? r they seriously useless? then why do they sell >9000 brands of the stuff? lol. all for money or what?
well i bought it thinking that it would be good for the car considering that i dont anticipate on driving another car in the next 10 years (current 06 accord 4cyl has 72.5k mileage)
Yes, seriously, they're useless. The fact is that pump gas has all of the additives you engine should ever need.

FWIW, I've pulled engines apart with more than a quarter of a million miles on them and found the injectors and their spray zone to be so clean that if the sun was shining brightly on that day, I'd need to be careful how I looked as the reflected sunlight might have hurt my eyes. Can't get much cleaner than that.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

okay....thanks a lot!!!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 PM

I use a 1/2 bottle of Sea Foam every 30,000 miles in a full tank of gas and I notice a smoother running engine + a bit better mileage after using the tank of gas. It helps clean the fuel injector.

In small engine (lawnmower and motorcycle, it helps to clean out the carbon buildup. In those smaller engines, I use 2 Tbs spoons worth. Runs much better afterwards. Plus, it is a great stabilizer for winter storage too. I swear om the product! You would think I marketed the product; but, I don't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Treatments and Fuel Injector Cleaners