General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear change issue...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Question Gear change issue...

So I was driving this morning and as I started to pickup speed down the street my car wouldn't switch gears. My RPM went up to almost 4 and I didn't know what to do so I was just coasting. It did that a couple of times. Until eventually started working. Does this have to do with my transmission or does it deal with something else?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

check the fluid for starters. are there any lights flashing at you on the dash?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Check engine light was on, but it went off after i changed my oil. The ABS light is on as well...

Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

check your fluid and report back

Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Like all the fluids or is there a specific one?

Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

never hurts to check them all, but the trans fluid is what we want to look at right now.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Mine was doing something similar the other day, up to 3200 rpm in first and second before shifting, only when cold. I drove it 2 days because of the holiday. I took it to a highly recommended transmission shop yesterday. They checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong except pressure switched weren't performing as they expected. The estimate is 195+tax for 2 pressure switches + whatever else they do during a "Tune Up"
I was thinking the worst, but it might be OK after all.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Ok so i checked my transmission oil. Theres oil in there so I don't think that's the case. Though what I do think is the problem is the reservoir,holding water/coolant, that feeds to the radiator has not been holding any fluids. Like yesterday it was empty which I think was why my heat also wasn't working after work because after I filled it my heat started working again. I just put water in it a couple days ago and I'll go buy some coolant today, but I don't want to have to continuously buy coolant if it's going to just evaporate...

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I believe there is a safety feature when coolant is low it will only circulate through the motor and not the heater core. It worrys about keeping the motor cool before providing heat. Check all your hoses for leaks and check your oil to make sure its not going into there And tranny fluid should be checked when warm cause it expands with heat. I don't drive my accord in the winter cause for some reason everything acts funny. Every accord I've owned doesn't like cold weather.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Accords hate the cold. Mine will do things like this when its cold out. I would say fill ALL your fluids up to the max your car can safely hold. Also, in the mornings, let your car heat up for like 10 - 20 minutes. It will waste some gas, but in the end you get better performance. If the problem persists, consult a professional mechanic and they can help you further.

(Accord Owner for 7 years)

Quick Reply: Gear change issue...