General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gear Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Gear Indicator

I have a strange thing going on.... Someone please help!

When I put my car in park, the key will not come out of the ignition until the red indicator light comes on surrounding the "P" on the dash. Problem is sometimes I have to sit there and shake the gear handle for about 3-4 minutes before the light actually comes on. It seems to be getting progressively worse, and in the below zero weather its not much fun.
I am afraid to take it somewhere and let someone experiment on it... and hope someone here has had the same issue before...

I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX-R automatic with 86,000 miles or 145,000 Kilometers

[&o]

Old 02-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gear Indicator

under the center console there is a slide switch that makes contact for the lights. I'd guess it is making a bad connection, lots of stuff works it's way down in there.[spilled coffee or cola attracts dust]
You can find the phillips head screws around the sidesthat hold that centercover on and raise it up to see the switch, maybe spray it off with some brake clean, or dress it up with emory cloth.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well, i took the screws off the center console, took the console out last night. I seen a selonoid on the right side of the gear selector that pushed in when put into park. As long as this was pushed in the key would come out without a problem. I tried a couple hundred times to get it to not light up the "P" and as soon as I touched the selonoid it was fine.
I tapped on it a few times, put a lil lithium grease on the plunger and tried it a few more hundred times, it worked perfectly!

.... went to work this morning and got stuck in the parking garage again for an extra 5 minutes (doesnt sound long, but its -10 degrees out). The "P" would not light up and I could NOT get my key out.

... In accord with your thoughts... what is it on the brake pedal that allows you to remove the car from park when u press in the brake? Maybe thats it...

signed,
confused and cold

Old 02-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

itmight be a bad shift position switch,, it is the switch located under the center console on the driver side,
it has 2 ,10mmnuts you have to remove a couple of connectors ....make sure when you reinstall it to line it up properly

Of course you need to diagnose first before you replace it but
I had 2 cars with same problem, both at about the same time both 90 accords ,

Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...65#post4583265

quite possible... lemme check that tonite or tomorrow...
SON OF A GUN PROBLEM!!!

THANKS GUYS

Old 02-06-2007, 12:46 PM

part# 35700-SM4-A91 $ 52.18 + tx

By the way i did take both switches apart and clean them with emery cloth and electrical cleaner,,
it did not help on either one .. still had the same issue ..

Old 02-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

... but when you just went ahead and replaced them with new, it solved the problem?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: getatjbrown

... but when you just went ahead and replaced them with new, it solved the problem?
correct.......they were done a few months ago and i have to assume that they still work ok or i would have heard back from the customers by now

Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

THANKS GUYS...!!!!

It was the switch position part... I got it from Honda Parts Warehouse for $39 bucks and replaced it in maybe 15 minutes tops...!!!

All the rings around the gear indicator on the dash light up now, and the key comes out everytime.

THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

itmight be a bad shift position switch,, it is the switch located under the center console on the driver side,
I could almost swearI said something like that in my response.
Icould almost swear I said nothing about the interlock solenoid.

[sm=headbang.gif] [sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Gear Indicator