General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Unhappy General Maintenance...

Ok, this might be long sorry....I have a 93 accord ex coupe. it has roughly 215k miles on it, maybe more...i'll double check...it has various leaks, but runs great...long story short, I bought the car in 2000, it had 80k on it, my sister has been driving it for the last 10 years, my bro in law had a friend who worked for honda work on it, he never fixed anything major, just kind of bandaged it together, he said all the leaks are normal and that it would cost more to fix the leaks than the cars worth. here's my questions, i'm not a mechanic but i can handle normal stuff, oil, belt or 2...at least on my grand prix gtp, and my chevy 1500 truck. I know this honda is a differnt animal. It has an oil leak, power steering leak, and it might have a brake leak. I'd say there might be a rad problem too, but i could be wrong, the fans kick on after it's been turned off and sitting, no matter if it's 100 or 40 out...i'm sure this is normal since it's been doing this for some time. the a/c works great, cold as hell!!!

I actually got the car back from my sister in Sep of last year when i found out it was just sitting in their driveway not being driven and have been driving it ever since, I check the oil about once a month and might have to add a little here and there, i'd say between oil changes, 5k miles, i have to add a total of 1 quart. I drive it now, since it gets 420 miles to a full tank of gas and i drive 70-80 on the frieeway.

Questions, where could the oil leaks be from? I read how hard to change valve cover and spark plug gaskets, seems easy enough.

power steering? how hard to change the pump?

brake leak, could it have a bad cylinder or cable somewhere?

lastly, i was checking the oil, and noticed the belt was a little frayed, it's not the timing, i'm thinking it must be a serpentine? are there 2 belts plus the timing? how hard is that to change? are there tensioners? i'm not brave enough to tackle that timing belt, but think i can handle the other 2, any tips?

one more thing, should I have the timing belt changed?

thanks for the long read, i'll double check on some of the things i posted and confirm all is true.........

Thaks again!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Default one more thing...

it shakes, when i come to a stop light, but i'm thinking that's a motor mount issue, after all i've read, just thought i'd throw that out there...

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Oil leaks, plenty of possibilities. The valve cover and spark plug tube seals you know about.

The distributor can leak from the oring seal to the cylinder head and also leak through the distributor (shaft seal inside the distributor).

The balance shaft cover (under lower timing belt cover) is almost certainly leaking w/ this many miles/years.

Oil pan seal is prone to leak after many years.

The oil pressure switch on back side of engine near oil filter is also prone to leak.

There are some orings on the PS pump that can be replaced.

Brake leak is likely master cylinder or wheel cylinder. Inspection should pinpoint.

Accessory belts are easy to replace, but you need to know where all nuts are that need to be loosened.

Timing belt is due unless you know that someone changed in the intervening 10 yrs. Rear balance shaft cover oring can be change when this is done. Also replace tensioner and water pump. Inspect forward balance shaft seal and crankshaft seals. If any leaks these should be replaced (they rarely leak).

good luck

Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Default thanks...

it has 216k miles, and has 2 belts, plus the timing.........do we have a diy here on the forum? i was looking at the ps pump, seems fairly simple, i think the hose is leaking, do we have a diy on the oring seals on the ps? hm, this oughta be fun.......haha

Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM

Look at DIY section for help on timing belt work.

For PS, check Online Manual links in DIY forum for a download manual. I thina a 91 or 92 manual is all that's available, but that should be fine for a 93 Accord.

good luck

Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Default accessory belts...

i went through every DIY, am i missing it? Looking for a how to to replace both accessory belts....

I have a 93 accord ex coupe.......

thanks!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM

There is DIY on timing belts, but perhaps not the accessory belts. The download manual I suggested will provide adequate details for belt replacement.

Basically, loosen lock nut/s, loosen adjustment bolt until belt is loose enough to remove/replace.

PS belt is removed first, then AC/Alt belt, and replaced in reverse order.

Lock nuts are somewhat difficult to see/access but they are there. It helps to clean w/ pressure washer (carefully) to remove oil/dirt.

I've found a 12mm offset closed end wrench is good to access the alternator lock nut.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 02-10-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM

quick question, what gen is my car? 4 or 5? thanks!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

4th generagtion (90-93).

There is also a 93 manual that you can download. It covers only UK accords, but is much easier to navigate compared to the 91 that you can download.

Google 62SN700

The first result says Honda Accord Windows Live. Click on that page. The pdf is broken into parts, so you will have to use something like WinRAR to combine each part. I originally found it on a bit torrent site.

Last edited by PAhonda; 02-10-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Question ok another dumb question...

I just did the valve cover gasket......can't find my torque wrench, so gotta go buy one........BUT

I bought the 24$ gasket kit at az, it had the vc gasket, 4 spark plugs gaskets, 4 cover gaskets, and 4 orings, where do the orings go? before i torque the puppy down, i want to know do i need them? i didn't remove any.....weird...

thanks!

Quick Reply: General Maintenance...