General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

get control arm loose from ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Default get control arm loose from ball joint

I've been struggling to get the ball joint loose from the lower control arm so I can remove the halfshaft assembly. I haven't tried a pickle fork (don't happen to have one) and have been pounding a big hammer against the lower control arm through which the ball joint stud seems to be stuck big time. I mean I've been slamming that big hammer (sledge actually) hard and heavy, but no go, is not popping loose. Here's a picture. The shiny metal area there is the spot I've been pounding on. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails get control arm loose from ball joint-img_2415_zpse74fd72c.jpg  

Last edited by sgull; 08-19-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've used a "ball joint lifter" w/ success. I had to grind the opening for some larger ball jts on TL, MDX, but it worked well and does not damage boot. Be sure to leave nut in place when lifting to avoid damaging the ball jt stud.

Note, boot may be split and need replacing anyway, so a fork tool will work fine if you replace the boot. They are not expensive or difficult to replace.

good luck

Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Try this....again warning and use safety.

Place a jack on the lower arm.....give it a cycle up and down as you give more lube spray. Then do the same except a few love taps with the Big Friendly Hammer as you cycle the jack up and down.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Try this... Place a jack on the lower arm.....give it a cycle up and down as you give more lube spray. Then do the same except a few love taps with the Big Friendly Hammer as you cycle the jack up and down.
Thanks, but unfortunately, after trying that suggested method I still couldn't get it to come loose. The ball joint lifter tool won't be available to me for a few days. Hope it works or I suppose pickle fork will be the next option.

Last edited by sgull; 08-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I have had success using the pitmann puller that you can rent at a parts store like autozone. That would be the tool on top of the picture in the amazon link you posted. I would rent both sizes, because I can't remember which one slid under the rubber boot and on top of the lower control arm.

I am not sure if you have a parts store near you.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I've used a "ball joint lifter" w/ success.
The local auto parts store has a tool loaner program and has a front end service kit available like this, which includes the "ball joint lifter" tool.
Alltrade 648626 Kit 3 Front End Service Tool Set - Amazon.com Alltrade 648626 Kit 3 Front End Service Tool Set - Amazon.com
It'll be available to me in a few days. I'm a little worried, considering how stuck the ball joint seems to be to that lower control arm, that the tool will just break on me though.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I have had success using the pitmann puller that you can rent at a parts store like autozone. That would be the tool on top of the picture in the amazon link you posted. I would rent both sizes, because I can't remember which one slid under the rubber boot and on top of the lower control arm. I am not sure if you have a parts store near you.
Locally I have a Car Quest auto parts store that has that same kit available to loan as I linked there to Amazon. It includes that ball joint lifter tool and those other puller tools shown.

Last edited by sgull; 08-19-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You might also try tensioning the lifter and striking hard blow w/ sledge hammer. This will reduce load needed on lifter.

good luck

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM

Success! The tool that fit and worked for me was the tie-rod puller tool in the kit as shown on the far right in the picture linked in my post #6 this thread. Space was just too tight to fit in the ball joint lifter tool. Neither of the pitman arm pullers would fit either; the large one was too wide, the small one wouldn't fit over the knuckle. But man that tie rod puller happened to fit just right, and worked slick. It took some serious cranking on that puller bolt, then POP! Got 'er!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Good to see you have that taken care of..

Quick Reply: get control arm loose from ball joint