General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting at back of temp and blower adjust knobs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Default getting at back of temp and blower adjust *****

Gents,
I posted this on another honda site so as not to flood this one with my requests. Since yesterday it's received 72 views but zero replies. You guys have been extremely helpful in my other 2 threads so I'll give it a try here.

90 Accord LX
2.2 4 cyl.
Automatic
has A/C

Both the temperature adjust dial **** and the blower motor dial **** are broken, each in its own special way...

The blower ****'s metal spline is broken about 1/2 way in. It can be used if one pushes toward the dash while dialing and has the **** in the right spot.

The temp control **** has become detached from the cable that (please correct me if wrong) goes to the heater control valve. The heater control valve and cable are sticky so I can see how this could have come about.

I found a FAQ on removing the bezel which is quite helpful but I'm not sure I need to do all that to get at the back of these *****. Does anybody know? Is it just easier to do that than hack the crap out of your hands and car trying to tear out all the pieces of the climate control assembly?

I'm headed to the junkyard on Saturday to do a little investigative dissasembly but I'd like as much info as I can get before then.

Has anyone had to do this?

Does anyone know of a series of pictures or a blowup drawing? My Haynes manual is pretty limited. Perhaps you have a preferred manual from the 3 sources provided in the DIY section. (I can find the link in an earlier thread).

Do the parts I'm talking about come apart from the climate control instrument panel assembly or are they integrated such that I need to get the whole thing buttons and all?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure of your first problem. If the plastic **** (#12) is broken, you can replace. If it is the metal post inside, you would likely need to remove the HVAC to replace the switch (11 or 13). You can buy these parts new from the dealership.

You may be able to reach the cable by just removing the radio.

Here are the two pages on removing the HVAC panel:

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/15-25.pdf

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/15-28.pdf

Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM

It's the metal post inside. I figure it's # 11 so was planning on taking whatever I have to apart to get at both of them.

Does the radio come out without taking the whole bezel off first?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know. I never owned a 4th gen accord. On my 95, I had to remove the bezel, but that was pretty simple on my car.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM

I will be sure to let you know. Even if the radio comes out, the Heater Control Panel won't without taking off the bezel, which I think is referred to as the meter visor in the UK manual.

One more question: How do the air vents come out? What's the trick?

Thanks very much.

Last edited by hack; 07-13-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: proper teminology
Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Here's the answer to my question whether or not the bezel has to come off for the radio to come out - No. Now that I see it and think about it, it would be pretty bad if you had to take the whole bezel / "meter visor" (British accent) off for something replaced as much as a radio.

http://accordinglydone.com/data/90-93accord.pdf

I still probably have to take it off to get at the Heater Control Panel so would love to know the trick to getting the air vents out. I'm a noob.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM

There is no trick for taking out the little vents. They just pry out. Do it from the side that has the open/close thumb dial. It seems to work better.

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you figured it out. I didn't have an answer for you.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Yar I figured either it was a dumb question or nobody knew. I love junkyards!

Potentiometer for blower motor - $5
Hot/Cold cable/dial assembly - $10
Shifter **** with non-mangled Sports Mode switch - $5
Since I live in Taxachusetts - $1.25

I'll never get back the full day spent taking things apart at the junkyard and much more carefully disassembling the whole stinkin dashboard and putting it back together in 90 degree heat, and this car will never repay me monetarily, but it was still worth it.