General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Was gifted a 94 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Was gifted a 94 Accord

as a second car. I thought oh well its going to be a sled after I got it I realized its a diamond in rough.
It has 250k on odometer but found out where teh engine and was replaced 30 k ago with a 40k used engine , and transmition was replaced also.

Runs like a top new tires and rims . are was pumping out 40degree air today when it was 101 outside.

few problems ..

the one I am guessing at is VSS D4 flashes constantly. No Speedo or ODOmeter.

Does that seem like VSS , Wonder if it was even hooked up when transmission was changed ?

Also ABS light comes on after you reach driving speeds ..

Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Could be? Best thing to do it get the code, the service connector is under the dash on the pass side. Once you jump it the ECU and TCU will give you exactly what the code is.

Better detail of getting the codes can be found here in this link

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

have not been able to find the blue connecter to check yet but was aso dealing with two toddlers at same time , so will check later.

I did however find what I think may have been causing the idling issue. While looking for the VSS location , pulled off air intake system noticed two vacuum hoses that were dried out and cracked apart and not pulling any vacuum. and the coupling on the Iar part was completely dry rotted and broke in half and had been rigged with cloth tape that had eroded away.

Will check the code soon but after seeing the VSS I am almost assured it is that , looks like the original one was put back on with new transmission

Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

The link poorman provided should help.

The connector is right by the hinges on the glove box.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Dang, now that I read your post again.

Get the code from the ABS as well when you find and jump the service connector.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Dang, now that I read your post again.

Get the code from the ABS as well when you find and jump the service connector.
This is strange ,i am not a moron but found the harness tried to short it with paper clip nothing happened when I.turned yhe key to II POSITION. JUST NORMAL

Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Xguardian
This is strange ,i am not a moron but found the harness tried to short it with paper clip nothing happened when I.turned yhe key to II POSITION. JUST NORMAL
guess I might be a moron

for got to separate the 2 wire one from the blue harness

12 on the engine light and
4 on the d4

did not check abs

looks like Map sensor and vss and egr

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure where the MAP sensor comes into play.

12 from the CEL is EGR Lift. Suggest you start with cleaning the valve and the ports. For EGR port cleaning check this - Common DIY Threads found at the to of this section; https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

The valve, remove and clean and replace the gasket. Be careful, one of the nuts is at a "funny angle" so use the proper tool so you do not round off the nut.

4 from the D4 = VSS, I'd do the testing that you can get from the manual - in the same Common DIY Threads post I linked above. If bad then replace, either new or a used one from a junk yard.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-02-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Read the manual I downlaoded and i said under that code MAP sensor as well.

I think I cured that Check engine code , Maybe, I checked all the vacuum hoses again to make sure they were all attached and I noticed the Fresh ir intake to PCV was completely dry rotted off the air intake hose from teh breather. Fixed that and no code and now hissing sound .

Vss from where I got it she said Speedo etc never worked after Transmission changed. I have a sneaky suspicion they lost the little pin that goes in it.

Only issue I have now other than waiting on parts to come in when driving ant let off gas to come to a stop , the idles goes up and down from just under 2000 to 1500 about 4 times then catches and does fine until stop.

Cant figure that out . the muffler is rusted completely off ( ordered new one ) not sure if that could choke it out or not , and the ball joints etc are worn out I know has nothing to do with it those are the only things left wrong with car

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I say they lost the VSS pin judging by the shotty way they put teh hoses back. Dry rotted and completely separated etc . Just poor pride in workmanship