General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was good while it lasted

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Unhappy It was good while it lasted

So, I check my oil the other day, it was about a quarter inch above the add mark on the dipstick. I had my oil replaced the last day of May, here we are 50 days into a 90 days cycle.(I usually replace it every 3 months)

How can I tell how much oil I'm burning? Does anyone know how many liters of oil are between the add and the full mark on my engine?

Thanks for your help

Edit: I also realize it could be oil leaking from a seal maybe, but my mechanic replaced the two seals inside the timing cover. Crankshaft and the other. I guess it could be another seal, I really wish this is the case.

Last edited by Hondahonda; 07-20-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 AM

I think it is 1 quart, from the full mark to the add mark. How many miles have you driven over this time? You had your oil replaced? Are you sure they filled it all the way up?

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 07-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't jump to conclusions too fast. As nighthawk said are you sure it was full after the oilchange?

Check for oil spots in your driveway to see if any is leaking. Also definitely keep an eye on the fill level and make sure it doesn't get any lower.

And if it is burning it really depends how many miles you have driven to burn that much.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:38 PM

Well, it just occurred me I had a weird coolant loss/oil burning problem last year and it was the PCV valve. They replaced it but they wrapped it part ways in tape. I don't think they completely fixed it.

I'll try and replace the rubber piece that makes the seal between the PCV, and hope this fixes it. I'm not sure why the mechanic didn't do this before, can I get this from a local parts dealer?

Short of that, I'm going to hope the oil pan gasket or some other seal is leaking.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you can get PCV valves from local parts stores.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Just for clarification, the PCV valve on their is new, and only a year old. I was thinking about replacing the rubber grommet, but it's sealing pretty good. Thoughts? It's never been replaced

I have a little bit of oil caked on top of the compressor, but the seals near this were replaced. There's a fair bit of oil caked on the front block of the transmission, that you can see looking down into the engine bay. Last time I did an oil change there was a fair bit of oil by the oil pan.

From the looks of it, I'm burning the oil, but it doesn't make much sense. Before the last oil change, I've never had to add oil in between changes. I checked the oil today and found it slightly below the add mark and added a quart and now it's back to almost full. So it looks like I lost 1 liter in 1700 miles.

Later I think I'll get under the car and give it a look. Perhaps I'll take some pictures.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like its a leak to me.

I think your PCV is fine so I wouldn't worry about that. Put some cardboard under your car where you park it at your house and see if there is any.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
There's a fair bit of oil caked on the front block of the transmission, that you can see looking down into the engine bay.

Perhaps I'll take some pictures.

The o-ring on the dist housing could be leaking.

Yes, pic's are always nice

Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Well, it's leaking around the center of the car. More to the left of the center. The only thing that comes to mind around there is the camshaft seal and that other one inside the timing cover, but those were both replaced last summer.

It's more to the front, could it be the oil pan gasket or something?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a leak from under the timing belt cover, there are four seals that can leak (camshaft, crankshaft, front balance shaft, and rear balance shaft gear box.

You need to look under the car and figure out where you are leaking oil. The timing belt cover, the distributor, the oil drain plug, oil filter, or oil pressure switch are prime suspects. The valve cover and oil pan gasket too.

Quick Reply: It was good while it lasted