Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Got 22mm of rotor left (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/got-22mm-rotor-left-8239/)

MALSR 03-17-2007 03:08 PM

Got 22mm of rotor left

My brakes are pulsating so i figure the rotors need to get refinished. With only 22 mm left should I just replace them or is there enough left to get the turned??

Chiovnidca 03-17-2007 05:32 PM

RE: Got 22mm of rotor left

Minimum is 21mm if i remember right. Should be plenty left to refinish them.

MALSR 03-19-2007 12:47 PM

With only 22mm left I was wondering if it would be just as economical to replace the rotors with new ones since thet are rather difficult to remove?

Chiovnidca 03-20-2007 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: MALSR

With only 22mm left I was wondering if it would be just as economical to replace the rotors with new ones since thet are rather difficult to remove?

Guess you'll have to figure it out yourself. Which is cheaper: New rotors or machineing the one you have. I machine the rotors on the car with a quik-lathe.

MALSR 03-20-2007 12:20 AM

I just found a place that has an on-car lathe for 75$...I'll try that and see if they last for a while

HondaRacer4Vtec 03-20-2007 03:54 PM

Better of getting new rotors in my opinion. Some good name brand ones.

deserthonda 03-20-2007 09:17 PM

No need to replace rotors if the ones on the car are still thick enough to be resurfaced,, and when done still be above specs,,
And absolutelly ,, make sure that when resurfacing rotors always use a shop that has the ON CAR LATHE

Shadow1992 03-25-2007 03:56 AM

With 22mm left resurfacing them could bring them down to the 21mm limit. But even if it doesn't you'll be having to replace them sooner rather than later. I would say it would be best to simply get new rotors now and be done with it.

95 exR 03-25-2007 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: MALSR

My brakes are pulsating so i figure the rotors need to get refinished. With only 22 mm left should I just replace them or is there enough left to get the turned??

If you only have 22mm left and the min is 21mm, and you turn the rotors, you are getting closer to the min limit, or might even pass the limit if they are bad. I would DEFINATLY replace them, just due to the fact, even if you get them turned and they are still just above the min limit of 21mm, they are not gonna work nowhere near as good and efficient as new rotors, especially in a emergency stop.

95 exR 03-25-2007 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

No need to replace rotors if the ones on the car are still thick enough to be resurfaced,, and when done still be above specs,,
And absolutelly ,, make sure that when resurfacing rotors always use a shop that has the ON CAR LATHE

I am currently taking a MVR - Mechanical course, and I am curious, why always use a on car lathe? We have used a off car lathe, and that works great. I am not saying that you are wrong, I know it would be easier (especially due to how the accord rotors are pressed on), or is that the reason for a on car lathe.

ArcticHonda 03-25-2007 04:12 PM

I was told that when you reinstall the rotors after removing them they might not seat in the exact position that they were in before. But if you leave them on the car during resurfacing they are still seated (or pressed) in the exact same positon on the hub.

deserthonda 03-25-2007 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: 95 exR

I am currently taking a MVR - Mechanical course, and I am curious, why always use a on car lathe? We have used a off car lathe, and that works great. I am not saying that you are wrong, I know it would be easier (especially due to how the accord rotors are pressed on), or is that the reason for a on car lathe.
i have resurfaced more rotors than i can think of ,, and what i have found out ,is that if you machine them with on the car lathe , first of all you get a much truer cut, rotor is mounted on its natural position and secondly they will last a lot longer ,, with off the car lathe i have found out that rotors tend to recreate the same issue ( shaking when braking ) after a while ..
we have both lathes , and i use the off the car only when i have no other choise ( rear rotors ) .

deserthonda 03-25-2007 04:18 PM

why would you want to waste the money replacing them , if after resurfacing , rotors would still be above specs ..
resurfced rotors if done properly, can last a long time, been there done that many many times ,, no need to spend money if not needed ..,
and yes rotors at specs ( 21 mm ) will work as good as rotors at 22 mm ,, ..

95 exR 03-26-2007 12:46 AM

why would you want to waste the money replacing them , if after resurfacing , rotors would still be above specs ..
resurfced rotors if done properly, can last a long time, been there done that many many times ,, no need to spend money if not needed ..,
and yes rotors at specs ( 21 mm ) will work as good as rotors at 22 mm ,, ..
Yes but how thick are new rotors? When you have a rotor right at the min spec (any lower is not safe) and a new rotor, it just seems that the new will work better, due to the fact with more meat on the rotor, it will withstand more heat and it won't fade as quick in a emergency. I know that a 21mm rotor will work, but if you have to quickly stop a couple times, I think for safety, I would prefer a new rotor. I know that a properly turned rotor will last.....but that is determined by the drivers braking style. I am not calling you wrong, but for my safety sake, and when working in the trade, for my customers sake, I would explain it to them fully and let them make the decision. If they want a min spec rotor, then I will turn it, if they want new, they get new. That's just me, and the way I was taught.

About turning the rotor on a off car lathe, I thought as long as you sanded down the directionalsurfacejust enough to make ita nondirectional surface, there are no grooves in the rotor for the pads to sink into, and therfore you will not get any squeal or vibration?

deserthonda 03-26-2007 01:06 AM

if the rotors ARE at MINIMUM SPECS in this case 21 mm .. I would advice my customers that this is the last time that rotors can be machined next time they need to be replaced , NOW if after resurfacing a rotor, it goes BELOW Minimum specs than rest assure that i let my customers know of the situation and strongly suggest and advice them to replace rotors ,which most of them do unless thay cannot afford it at the time ..

As for resurfacing the rotors on and off the car,, I speak from 28 years of experience and have resurfaced a crap load of rotors on and off the car ,, what i have seen , is that the rotors resurfaced on the car will last a lot longer than the ones rersurfaced off the car ,, the ones done off the car have a tendency to have reoccuring issues ( warpage , shake when braking ) than the ones done on the car and I am not just talking about 1 or 2 or 3 sets of rotors here ..
And do not get me wrong,, i am not trying to have you do things my way ,, i know what works and what does not , i will keep on resurfacing rotors with on car lathe and you can resurface them as you choose ..

95 exR 03-26-2007 01:47 AM

if the rotors ARE at MINIMUM SPECS in this case 21 mm .. I would advice my customers that this is the last time that rotors can be machined next time they need to be replaced , NOW if after resurfacing a rotor, it goes BELOW Minimum specs than rest assure that i let my customers know of the situation and strongly suggest and advice them to replace rotors ,which most of them do unless thay cannot afford it at the time ..

As for resurfacing the rotors on and off the car,, I speak from 28 years of experience and have resurfaced a crap load of rotors on and off the car ,, what i have seen , is that the rotors resurfaced on the car will last a lot longer than the ones rersurfaced off the car ,, the ones done off the car have a tendency to have reoccuring issues ( warpage , shake when braking ) than the ones done on the car and I am not just talking about 1 or 2 or 3 sets of rotors here ..
And do not get me wrong,, i am not trying to have you do things my way ,, i know what works and what does not , i will keep on resurfacing rotors with on car lathe and you can resurface them as you choose ..

That's cool. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just trying to understand different ways of doing things in our trade. You have 28 yrs experience and I have 8 months experience. I am just trying to learn as many different ways, and interpret them, so I can find the best way to do the job for me and my customers. I can tell by the answers you have given me and others, that you know what you are talking about. I look forward to talking with you here in the future. I also like you sig "Always Diagnose First,,, Before Replacing Parts" That is what my teacher has been telling us from day 1. You see way to many techs out there that use the "shotgun" approach. They just throw parts at cars, and hope it fixes it. Talk to ya later.

MALSR 04-30-2007 12:22 PM

Update: my front pads were almost worn to the wear indicator and the left outside pad was crumbling...probably because one of the shims on that side was falling apart from corrosion. No more pulsating, thanks for all the replies.